sick chicks please help

Highland Hens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
I have got about 24 chicks some for meat some for laying. There are about 5 different breeds and I got them from different places and they range from one to four weeks of age. I know what I have done wrong, got them from various places and I have them on non medicated chick start. They seem to all have infectious bronchitis. Sneezing and runny nose. And I have had about four dead, random times, age, breed etc. I have them on vitamins, electrolytes and tetracycline. I found that they have a product out there called Tylan that sounds like it would cure them but do I need a prescription? Or is there any over the counter product that would work. And should I put them on medicated feed? I think I will, the reason I didn't at first is I wanted more natural but they all might die if I don't medicate. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

you can get tylan50 at the feed store. dose for chicks is .10cc /one 10th of a cc. because they are chicks you can administer the injection in the back of the neck instead of the breast. some even give it to chicks orally. depending on which method your comfortable with. tylan 50 is usually found in the section for cattle. the bottle will say for cattle and swine. but not to worry MANY poultry owners including myself treat successfully with Tylan50. its an excellent choice for respiratory illness. you can also get the syringe at the feed store. time is of essence so get the Tylan50 asap and administer it. you will be administering it for 5 days straight. hope this helps and answers your questions. best wishes. do get the tylan50 soon. this should take care of the chicks. God bless

I got it and the price wasn't to bad, Tylan50 $13.00 a bottle that has way more than enough. I was debating on oral or injecting but I have so many It seemed like a daunting task orally. So injecting in the neck under the skin was the easiest for us. I had my wife hold them while I injected. Went real fast and the chicks hardly noticed it. Now to do it for the next four days. They will also be kept on the electrolyte, vitamins and I got medicated chick start. But took them off the tetracycline, didn't want that to react with the Tylan50. And the tetricyclen didn't seem to do anything anyways. Thank you for your help.:) We will see how it goes.:/

Last edited:
To follow up on this - All the chicks are doing great. Went 5 days injecting Tylan50 and it seemed to do the trick. Thank you Realsis for your help. I recommend Tylan50 if you have a issue like i had. And injecting is not as hard as it sounds. Just in the neck when they are young under the skin, very easy. Thank you guys!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

I'm soo happy to hear this! such great news! my own flock had a bit of respiratory illness going on and tylan50 did the trick for them also! thank God! it does work very well! I'm soo glad to hear that your babies are better! I was thinking of them and so glad you updated! this is wonderful news! :) :):):) :)

Back
Top Bottom