Sick Chook

rlw525

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 8, 2013
I recently lost a Gold Sebright bantam that I had purchased at an auction about 3 weeks earlier. She started sneezing, had watery eyes, and foamy saliva around her beak. I tried everything that the chicken forums and videos suggested aside from taking her to the vet. (Unfortunately, I can't afford a $75 bill for a $7 chicken). Unfortunately she died after being sick for about a week. Now I have a Dutch bantam showing many of the same symptoms. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for helping this girl.
This is what I've tried so far:
• Isolation • Heat • Corid • Probiotic • Yogurt • Oregano • Garlic • Apple Cider Vinegar • Bread/Milk/Boiled Onion mix

Thanks!

It is probable that the sebright was carrying a respiratory disease when it came. Those are usually lifelong and never cured. The survivors remain carriers for life. Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) could be the cause. Infectious bronchitis, ILT, coryza and others may be also be a cause. Tylosin for pigeons can treat MG, but nothing cures it for life. If you should lose another bird, you can usually find out what you are dealing with by keeping the body cold in a cooler, and taking it in to your state vet for a necropsy. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

It is probable that the sebright was carrying a respiratory disease when it came. Those are usually lifelong and never cured. The survivors remain carriers for life. Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) could be the cause. Infectious bronchitis, ILT, coryza and others may be also be a cause. Tylosin for pigeons can treat MG, but nothing cures it for life. If you should lose another bird, you can usually find out what you are dealing with by keeping the body cold in a cooler, and taking it in to your state vet for a necropsy. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Thank you for the info.

Back
Top Bottom