Sick Cicken.. HELP!! not much time!

jrbkr

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Alabama
Went out this morning 8 week old buff orpington pullet is laying in the bedding head down, body limp. Some poo on the rear appears a little bloody, but not to the extent I have seen pictures if what cocci will do. She is alive, but limp. If I pic her up she moves ever so slightly but not much and cant hold head up???? this is my first group of chickens... what to do??? I have her seperated. I would love to be able to save her, but most certainly dont want what ever it is to spread to the others ANY helpful advice would be appreciated.

I'm sorry to hear about your chicken. I know it's frustrating when you post and don't hear anything...

I wish I had something positive to add, but I'm not very familiar with any diseases or such.

I had an issue with one of my hens last night. I ended up bringing her inside, fed her yogurt and water and left her inside (in the shower!) and this morning she seems fine...

Maybe that would be the thing to do until you hear from someone who knows more than me!

I would treat the whole bunch for coccidia. Once you see blood in the poo, the disease has progressed to the point that the disease is eating away the intestinal lining and causing bleeding. The disease is very advance and this point. Get corid, put it in all their drinking water. Use an eyedropper and drip doses into the sickest chicken. I don't know if she can be saved at this point...but, your only hope is to get the medication inside her and fast!!!!

How is your chicken? So sorry to hear about it. I don't know what would help other than a bit of heat and can you try to keep him/he hydrated? Will the chicken take some water in a bowl or squirted into the mouth? Can you add a bit of probiotics to it or electrolytes? Good luck.

The pullet is improving! I cant believe it. Yesterday morning I picked her up thinking she was dead until I noticed a slow blink of the eyes. I gave her electrolyte water and some mashed feed through a syringe a couple of times yesterday up until bed time. I woke up this morning and she is standing and eating solid food. Still puffed up a bit, but I really did not expect her to make it through yesterday, much less the night. I stil dont think she is out of the woods, but am glad to see improvement. She is seperated and the rest of the flock seems to be doing fine, eating drinking, fun in the yard last evening, etc. So, I have no idea what it is or was. How long should I keep her quarantined if she continues to improve? Would it be possible she survived coccidiousis and the others were not infected? Maybe it was something less serious. Anyway,THANK YOU ALL for all the above suggestions. We are new to chickens and with just a backyard flock of 9 chickens I hate to loss one or worse all of them.

Wow that's great she really didn't sound good. I would still treat her for Coccidia if your not already. Hope she continues to improve.

The pullet is improving! I cant believe it. Yesterday morning I picked her up thinking she was dead until I noticed a slow blink of the eyes. I gave her electrolyte water and some mashed feed through a syringe a couple of times yesterday up until bed time. I woke up this morning and she is standing and eating solid food. Still puffed up a bit, but I really did not expect her to make it through yesterday, much less the night. I stil dont think she is out of the woods, but am glad to see improvement. She is seperated and the rest of the flock seems to be doing fine, eating drinking, fun in the yard last evening, etc. So, I have no idea what it is or was. How long should I keep her quarantined if she continues to improve? Would it be possible she survived coccidiousis and the others were not infected? Maybe it was something less serious. Anyway,THANK YOU ALL for all the above suggestions. We are new to chickens and with just a backyard flock of 9 chickens I hate to loss one or worse all of them.
Sadly, no. Cocci is transmitted through faeces, and it also can hide in the dirt. Glad to hear your pullet's improving!

I agree with LeadWolf1. If its coccidiosis they've all been exposed a this point. Get corid intotheir drinking water and continue for seven to ten days. Dilution instructions should be on the packaging. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom