sick cochin bantam's and vicks vapor rub

jamrock

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 11, 2010
mo
I am new here and have a question.I have read about vetrx and using it when your chickens have runny nose's and cold like symptom's.Now my question is will a little vicks vapor rub put under the wing like you would with the vetrx have the same effect?They both contain camphor and are used for congestion.I have been giving them duramycin-10 for 2 days now and not really helping much.Should I increase the dose of duramycin?I have been using a 1/4 teaspoon for 32 ounces of water.Which is a 400mg dose or should I increase it to the 800mg dose?Please help me I don't want to lose my 5 white cochin bantam's which are 3 to 6 months old.

Runny nose swollen eyes, sounds like a respiratory infection. I would give a bantam size bird 1 cc injection of Tylan 50. You can get it at TSC for $10. Never use Vick's on a bird, their lungs are different than ours are.

and how often should this be done?Should I leave them on the duramycin also?

OK I have given them the TYLAN-50 and got some durvet electrolyte and vitamin water supplement.I put a heat lamp on them as well.It's been getting down to the upper40's to low 50's at night.They are in an enclosed shed that is raised 12 inches off the ground with pine shaving for litter. Anything else anyone can think of.

I am new here and have a question.I have read about vetrx and using it when your chickens have runny nose's and cold like symptom's.Now my question is will a little vicks vapor rub put under the wing like you would with the vetrx have the same effect?They both contain camphor and are used for congestion.I have been giving them duramycin-10 for 2 days now and not really helping much.Should I increase the dose of duramycin?I have been using a 1/4 teaspoon for 32 ounces of water.Which is a 400mg dose or should I increase it to the 800mg dose?Please help me I don't want to lose my 5 white cochin bantam's which are 3 to 6 months old.
I watched Dr Pol one time when he looked after a chicken. The girl brought in Vetrx and he just pushed it aside and gave it an injection into the breast. Missed the part of what was wrong with her. They clouded out the Vetrx but you could tell what it was. I also googled Vicks close to chickens and it said no, their lungs are not like ours.

Back
Top Bottom