Sick Cochin

BBsChicks

Songster
12 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Rocklin, CA
She had a bump on her chest and I thought it was just her gullet but now it is oozing through her skin and onto her feathers. I have washed it and can't see a lesion but the skin is grey. HELP

Pictures? How old is she? Is she living with other birds? Any other symptoms? Is she separated from other animals? What do you feed them? Do they free range?

I have 9 chickens; 2 matriarchs, Lucy and Ethel that are 8, Frankie and Grace & Thelma and Louise are all 3, Skitter, Abbie, and Ellie are 2. They free range and at night Lucy and Ethel sleep in their older and smaller coop and the other 7 sleep in the newer bigger coop. I have 2 'grand' dogs that visit but they both have chickens at home and are not interested in the girls. No other symptoms except maybe weight loss. She is eating and pooping and lets me wash the area. She wasn't cooperating with her photo op. They eat organic feed, black oiled sunflower seeds, mealworms and pulp from my morning juice.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_ac9e.jpg

Last edited:
I have 9 chickens; 2 matriarchs, Lucy and Ethel that are 8, Frankie and Grace & Thelma and Louise are all 3, Skitter, Abbie, and Ellie are 2. They free range and at night Lucy and Ethel sleep in their older and smaller coop and the other 7 sleep in the newer bigger coop. I have 2 'grand' dogs that visit but they both have chickens at home and are not interested in the girls. No other symptoms except maybe weight loss. She is eating and pooping and lets me wash the area. She wasn't cooperating with her photo op. They eat organic feed, black oiled sunflower seeds, mealworms and pulp from my morning juice.

View attachment 1924796
Has she been de-wormed recently?

She had a bump on her chest and I thought it was just her gullet but now it is oozing through her skin and onto her feathers. I have washed it and can't see a lesion but the skin is grey. HELP

No other symptoms except maybe weight loss. She is eating and pooping and lets me wash the area.
Can you wash the area and trim away the feathers so we can see it?
It's hard to see, looks like it could be a wound.
When you mention oozing - is it pus or does it have a bad smell?

Back
Top Bottom