Sick Cockatiel, please help

JerseyChicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
My mom's 1 year old cockatiel suddenly stopped eating yesterday and has been very lethargic. She is barely moving, just enough to stand and stay in one spot. This is very unlike her as she follows my mom around the house and can even be aggressive at times (so her sudden acceptance of being held is very strange). No major changes lately-her diet has not changed and the weather here in San Diego has been warm as it normally is. We read that giving her a few drops of Pedialite may help so we did that with little change. We plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow, but anyone with advice or experience would be very helpful. Thanks everyone.

Sounds very serious! So don't miss your appointment!! Keep her warm and make sure she can get to food/water. I would offer favorite treats to entice her to eat (beans and popcorn are a hit at my house). Could she be egg bound? It could be a million things so its impossible to say what's wrong without looking at her. Look around to see if she got into anything-plants avocados pills cleaning products etc. Pretty much anything I touch my bird will taste. You might put her in a warm box/small carrier so she doesn't have to climb to get food if she wants it.
Did anyone burn a pan? Spray air freshener? Is she on all seed diet? Does she get 12 hours of quiet darkness?

Sorry that's not an answer for you but I wish you luck and a speedy recovery for the tiel!!

Quote:
x2
Keep her quiet and comfortable. Make sure you get her to the vets, birds will usually hide their illness until it's pretty serious. I hope she does well!
fl.gif

Vets ASAP, and keep her warm. Maybe even a little heat light on her?? But not TOO hot...

So my mom took her to the vet today and discovered that she has a stuck egg... She has never laid an egg before so we had no idea that it was even an option. They have given her shots to induce laying, but they are afraid that it is too big. The hope is that she lays it tonight, but if she doesn't it may be too late unless they go in and try to take it out (which they also feel could kill her at the same time). Please say a prayer for this little one, she is still very weak and it is sad to watch. Thanks for all of the suggestions, it is much appreciated.

She is gaining back strength and has eaten a little. Still no egg though, which is worrisome so we are still not in the clear. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for the support!

yup I was going to say the same thing even PAM spray is very bad for birds, they are very sensitive and chocolate is a killer too.. good luck keep us posted!! I love my African grey!!
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom