Sick coturnix quail

Jklipman

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2020
I have a small flock of coturnix quail, they are about 5 weeks old, 9 in total. Yesterday they seemed well, healthy, no problems. This morning however one is lethargic, when it trys to run it falls on its side and just kicks. If I pick it up it begins to fall asleep. I removed it from the flock put it in a brooder so it is isolated. What can cause this? The weather is outside is in the upper 70's, they have plenty of food and water. There hutch has a run, where they can go down a small ramp and forage in the grass. ( I found this one in the hutch by the food and water) I also don't use any pesticides on my lawn. There seems to be no injuries. All the others seem fine. Any ideas? Any thoughts on how I should proceed or protect the rest of my flock?

Uhhh, that seriously sounds bad.

Even my panic hen, which hits so hard by boinking, that she had a real big laceration on her head, didn't had this bad symtoms.

Is there any other poultry near?
I don't want to panic, but from describing the symtoms, this is similar to the Marek disease.

Of course this is an unsure call, but please see this:

Classical Marek's disease or neurolymphomatosis causes asymmetric paralysis of one or more limbs. With vagus nerve involvement, difficulty breathing or dilation of the crop may occur. Besides lesions in the peripheral nerves, there are frequently lymphomatous infiltration/tumours in the skin, skeletal muscle, visceral organs. Organs that are commonly affected include the ovary, spleen, liver, kidneys, lungs, heart, proventriculus and adrenals.

Any of the other symthoms, beside falling side ways and being lethargic?

Of course this is an unsure call, but please see this:

Classical Marek's disease or neurolymphomatosis causes asymmetric paralysis of one or more limbs. With vagus nerve involvement, difficulty breathing or dilation of the crop may occur. Besides lesions in the peripheral nerves, there are frequently lymphomatous infiltration/tumours in the skin, skeletal muscle, visceral organs. Organs that are commonly affected include the ovary, spleen, liver, kidneys, lungs, heart, proventriculus and adrenals.

Any of the other symthoms, beside falling side ways and being lethargic?
No, it is still resting. I made sure it drank a little a few moments ago. It ate a little after. Stool looks normal as well.

20200602_143728.jpg

My hen had very similar symptoms, but it might not be what yours is experiencing. I don't know how rare it is.

She fell over one day while I was checking on my birds and couldn't get up, just laying on her side. About 10 minutes later she was fine again, maybe a bit wobbly and very tired. My vet told me she had a mild stroke. It happened again half a year later, she didn't recover from that on her own. He injected her something (Cortison?) and gave her vitamin b. She started walking again a few days later, but sadly passed away after 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom