sick/depressed chicken? wont move,closes eyes

davidtailford

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
hi i have a bantam about 12weeks old. she has never had any other contact with other chickens ( was hatched in an incubator and no other chicks hatched) and when we put her in with the other chickens she just wouldn't move and would always have her eyes closed.

we separated her as at first we thought she was ill but this has been going on for 3/4 weeks and she still eats and drinks.

she still just stands still (doesnt even react to the dog) with her eyes closed. i was wondering if maybe it's some sort of chicken depression (may sound stupid) or do you thin she sounds ill??

thanks

Does she have any other symptoms? Is she eating/drinking/pooping normally?

Here's a link to another recent thread with a suggestion: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=539242

I'm
definitely not an expert, but it could be many things. I had a hen do that who had cocci, and I have a hen who is doing it now and I don't yet know why.
I would suggest looking through the forum for posts with "listless" in them... might find something similar to yours in them.

Last edited:
yes she is doing all of that. are chickens normally ill for a long time because she has been like this for almost 4 weeks!

I'm not sure. I would think they can be ill for long periods. But it does seem strange for her to act this way for that long! I hope someone with more info comes along! Definitely look through the forum though; I have found much of the information I need with a bit of searching, sometimes faster than waiting for replies.

Are her wings droopy? Does she hang her head or twist her head to the side? I think you should separate her from the others for her sake, they may attack her. Giving her extra protein and vitamins may help her along until you figure out what it is. Good luck

yes she twists her head and tucks it in her feathers! she has been separated for about 2 weeks now. She picked up but just in the last few days she has gotten worse.

What can i give her for extra vitamins and proteins?

thanks

I use polyvisol which is for human babies. Cooked eggs are good protein and easy to digest. If she has crooked (wry) neck, she needs vitamin e. I cut open capsules and squeeze it into their beaks. It is from a deficiency of vit. E and selenium, if that is what she has. Good luck with her.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom