SICK DOG ~Vets can't find anything wrong~Need help!! Update post #14

Quote:
this is what I was wondering about I mean its not going to provide him with all the nutrients he needs on just meat, so I know he will need other things. I was wondering about bone meal powder. I will seriously look at your list. thank you so much for sharing.

Sorry I didn't read all the posts, but I think it might be megaesophagus. We had to take our dog to 4 different clinics before someone at the NC State Vet School saw her and found out what it was. We have to feed her very wet food from a very raised dish, but she's OK now.

The vet saying this dog is vomiting for attention, thats crazy. He most likely isnt getting any positive reinforcement after vomiting, and they cant connect the dogs with any positive attention after a few seconds (why clicker training works).

The only reason a dog will throw up on purpose is to feed puppies and that is not a very common behavior either.

Sounds like megaesophogus.

He is awfully young to have food allergies. that doesnt usually develop until a little older. The dog not eating dog food makes me think something doesnt feel good, so he will only eat something very appealing (tablefood). His throat may be sore, or he may have stomache pain. The stomache should appear thickened on the xray if he is painfull there. A throat xray can rule out mega.

I would feed a VET perscribed hypoallergenic diet to rule that out, before assuming that is the problem.

I have a dog with digestion problems and the vet put her on Royal Canine Rabbit and Sweet Potato diet and the canned Rabbit food and she has been fine. Just wanted you to know that there is a line of dog food from the Vets that is for digestion problems. Not cheap, but may be helpful when you do not have time to cook for the dog.

Quote:
It is not mega-esophagus, they already looked into that, and the xrays came up clear, nothing in the stomach, nothing in the throat. he seems fine on the meat and vegies, he had three servings today with probiotics in it and no vomiting at all. We have tried vet prescribed food, which he won't even touch either. I got three different brands of food, his original lamb and rice he has been on since he came to live with us. An all natural grain free food, and the Medical, he won't go anywhere near dog food. We also tried wet chunky food, he refused it, and then tried blending it down, he refused that too. Right now he has been eating roasted pork with carrots and potatoes, which was roasted with nothing more than just water an its own juices. As far as he is keeping that down I am happy thus far, this is the most he has eaten in a week. I am seeing progress, since he refused roasted chicken and rice the day before, I will try hamburger meat or fish next.

I am super relieved to see him eat and keep it down, he is being fed away from everyone so he can eat without being disturbed.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi thanks, rabbit sounds good, lol....but we do have a bag of medical for digestive issues and he will not touch it, 4lb bag cost me 18 bucks...now I am not sure what to do with it!! As I highly doubt my other dogs will eat it either. I do not like to switch my dogs food, they have been on lamb and rice for ever, well Ok I admit it, once in a blue moon they will be out of the lamb and I will have to pick up chicken and rice, but that barely ever happens.

this did give me an idea though, I know someone in the next town over who has a meat rabbit farm, might have to pay them a visit. and we have a sheep farm in town too. :)

Quote:
Have you asked your vet's office if you could return it for at least part-credit... not all vets will do this, but some will, they use the opened bag for samples for other clients (to avoid the problem you had, where the animal turns out not to be willing to eat it once the client buys a big bag) or for in-house use or resell to other clients at a discount. Can't hurt to ask, anyhow (assuming this is a very recently acquired bag o food)

Best of luck to you and your dog,

Pat, who went thru a similar thing with a cat the summer before last and tried pretty much every food the vet could throw at us before we hit on one that worked
tongue.png

Good luck with this but I think that the Vet who said you dog is vomiting for attention is being ridiculous. Did they mention that you should put bone meal powder and vitamins in with his meat and veggies. Dont let anybody talk you into the raw food diet as this can cause many problems.

When my lhasa got older and could not tolerate dog food anymore I started cooking his food. He loved the carrots with the rice and ground chicken but he also loved Broccoli. I used to make a huge batch and freeze. Then I wasn't cooking every night. Adding a touch of low sodium chicken stock made it a little tastier for him.
Good luck with your boy
smile.png

Quote:
I know he is not doing it for attention. Something made his digestive system sensitive and now he cannot handle dog food. I don't see what the pay off would be for him to make himself vomit. Any and all food I give him will be cooked up.

right now I am going to concentrate on putting a few good meals in him and make him gain the weight he lost. I will call the vet on monday and inquire on the bone meal or any vitamins he might require cause I did forget to ask. I don't see the bone meal causing an issue but I still want to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom