SICK DOG ~Vets can't find anything wrong~Need help!! Update post #14

Quote:
Have you asked your vet's office if you could return it for at least part-credit... not all vets will do this, but some will, they use the opened bag for samples for other clients (to avoid the problem you had, where the animal turns out not to be willing to eat it once the client buys a big bag) or for in-house use or resell to other clients at a discount. Can't hurt to ask, anyhow (assuming this is a very recently acquired bag o food)

Best of luck to you and your dog,

Pat, who went thru a similar thing with a cat the summer before last and tried pretty much every food the vet could throw at us before we hit on one that worked
tongue.png

I took one cup out of it,
hmm.png
I will have to maybe inquire, I doubt they will take it back though, but if they don't I can ask the animal rescue if they would like both the vet bag and the All natural as I have no use for it really. I have canned food too but I got a shih tzu who eats canned food once per day, so I will keep that for him...but yes you are right, it doesn't hurt to ask, plus its not like I won't be going back there, lol, I got a dog going in to get fixed in mid january, and in march 3 of the dogs are due for their shots.

I took care of my friends dog for two weeks. He was so hyper that he would grab a mouthful of kibble, swallow most of it and then run around the table. This continued until he got bored with eating. Sometimes he vomited and had bad gas. He was thin and his stomach made all kinds of noises. I increased his exercise to a hour of running a day (That helped! Before that he had no exercise). My dogs must have thought he was nuts!

Then I taught him to lie down while eating. There is something about that position that made him slow down his eating and chew his food. After that he didn't vomit again. I fed him three times a day and when he got up, mealtime was over. Took him just a couple of days to figure out that if he didn't eat all the food in his bowl, it was gone!

About 13 years ago we went thru something similar with our Blue Heeler. Vomiting, losing weight but acting “fine”.

Test revealed nothing, x-rays were the same – all clear. We tried antibiotics, anti-vomit meds – nothing helped.

Weeks went by, our dog stopped wanting to eat most food – and he was not food driven to begin with – he still isn’t at almost 15 yrs old.

In desperation my vet re-took the x-rays and “thought he saw a shadow in the stomach” – when he pointed it out, yeah I could barely see it also.

Exploratory down the throat revealed a “squeaky ball” had filled his stomach. I use to get him soft rubber/plastic, tennis ball sized squeaky balls from Petsmart. He would push the ball in on itself and make it a “cup” to chew. This ball, he pushed in on itself and then folded it in half and swallowed. The ball then re-expanded to its normal ball shape in his belly – and due to the material did not show on the x-ray as a blockage.

Once the ball was removed, his vomiting stopped. So, if your dog is a ball player – you might want to count the balls that should be around.

NO bouncy balls for our dogs because they chew them, I learned that 8 yrs ago when my older lab tried to swallow the outer felt of a tennis ball. So now If we play ball outside I make sure they retrieve them and then I put them away. Anyhow its nothing that he ate and is stuck in his stomach.

Since my last update, we have been giving him cooked meats, such as pork, chicken and beef. But I found out that any food with veggies in it will make him vomit. Dry food is very much the same. today we cooked him 3 very large boneless chicken breasts and potatoes and he will not touch the potatoes. He can now tolerate wet canned food, as long as it has no veggies in it at all. So we are mixing his wet food with chicken breast and he is doing fine. However if we aren't careful and he sneaks to where the other dog food is he will try to eat that and then he will puke not long after. so we have to keep an eye on him still. But so far so good, he is no longer losing weight and he seems in very good spirits :)

I have not read the thread so maybe this has already been answered but what about noodles or rice with the meat?

I would toss some noodles in chicken broth, parsley, and a pinch of minced garlic....w/some meat.

I haven't read every post so if this has been suggested, forgive me, but the vet needs to scope that dog asap. No dog is that sensitive as far as food upsetting its stomach. It sounds like he has an esophageal issue, hernia or stricture possibly? This wouldn't show up on xrays or blood work as it is a soft tissue structual problem..could even be a bowel or stomach stricture or even a hernia. Like i said, I didnt read every post so maybe this has been covered. Hope someone can help if I didnt.

Back
Top Bottom