Sick Duck - attacked by dog

baymillers

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Byhalia, MS
We have Pekin Ducks that were attacked by our dog. Four of the five have died. We have one living and she was one of the sickest. Multiple open wounds and bc we left her out the first night she had maggots. We have cleaned all her wounds and think we have gotten rid of all maggots & she is now inside. She can't use her left back leg, she can move but can't stand in it. I have sprayed her with wound-kote per another thread I read and she seems to be doing a lot better. She had started trying to "honk" and is even boring us (which is a good sign). We started her on an oral abx that I got from the local feed store. She still isn't eating. But, she drinks. Her stool is watery with some green stuff in it. I've tried to give her dried meal worms and we she had constant access to chick starter. Any suggestions on what to feed her? What else can we do?! Please help!!

We have Pekin Ducks that were attacked by our dog. Four of the five have died. We have one living and she was one of the sickest. Multiple open wounds and bc we left her out the first night she had maggots. We have cleaned all her wounds and think we have gotten rid of all maggots & she is now inside. She can't use her left back leg, she can move but can't stand in it. I have sprayed her with wound-kote per another thread I read and she seems to be doing a lot better. She had started trying to "honk" and is even boring us (which is a good sign). We started her on an oral abx that I got from the local feed store. She still isn't eating. But, she drinks. Her stool is watery with some green stuff in it. I've tried to give her dried meal worms and we she had constant access to chick starter. Any suggestions on what to feed her? What else can we do?! Please help!!

I did reply over in the emergencies and disease section.

You could cook her some scrambled eggs, as to my chickens they look delicous! And if you get really desperate you can buy bird formula (at the pet store for like 7 to 8 dollars) and get a syringe and squirt some in her mouth, I hope your duck is ok!

Thank you all. We gave her some meal worms and chick starter after I soaked it in hot water. She ate some of it. Tomorrow we will try with the tub or a small pool of
Water. I think she may be too big for a pan. Thank you all for your advice. This is my first time posting as I just found this site the other day. So excited to have this resource.
1f604.png

Back
Top Bottom