Chevysmom

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2021
NW Maryland
Yesterday my 1 year old khaki Campbell was not wanting to eat much and then I discovered she was egg bound. I gave her an epsom salt soak and within 30 min she laid one regular egg and one egg yolk only, and then had a soft shell hanging out of her. I gently tried to pull the soft shell out and I got most of it out but it broke off. I hoped that after a nights rest she would be back to normal. Side note: my ducks get oyster shell offered every day.

Today she refuses to eat, and will only sip water if I offer it to her. She is bobbing her tail with her breathing. She is remaining stationary and not wanting to walk around (although she is able to and not injured). She was laying alone inside her coop (unusual) so I brought her inside to a dim and quiet place to rest but I am so worried and not sure what to do for her. Should I give her electrolytes? Antibiotics?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 9A5FA23B-CE6B-433D-8D44-03687AB5FAF4.jpeg
    9A5FA23B-CE6B-433D-8D44-03687AB5FAF4.jpeg
    600.5 KB · Views: 20
Update: she made it through the night. She basically stood in the same spot in her makeshift crate all night. She laid down for a bit but mostly stood up all night. She pooped a lot yesterday evening but I don’t see much at all on her bedding today. She is refusing to drink now. I got her to take a couple of sips of water and electrolytes. She was reluctant to but I held the dish under her mouth until she took a sip. She is still tail bobbing with her breathing.

Give her another dose of Cal glu.
@Aunt Angus Had to give her duck many doses before she got her egg out.

Hopefully, she isn't internal laying only a vet and xrays would show that up.
Oh, poor girl! I hope she can get that egg out soon. It's so scary when this happens to our sweet duckies...

Yes, my girl got 5 doses in 24 hrs before she laid. It happened again last week, so I have an appointment for her to maybe get a hormonal implant to stop her from laying altogether.

Oh, poor girl! I hope she can get that egg out soon. It's so scary when this happens to our sweet duckies...

Yes, my girl got 5 doses in 24 hrs before she laid. It happened again last week, so I have an appointment for her to maybe get a hormonal implant to stop her from laying altogether.
Thank you, I hope so too!

Oh wow- I didn’t realize I could give her more than one dose in a day! What dosage did you give? And have you ever tried nutri-drench?

Back
Top Bottom