Sick Duck, need Advice ASAP

If your duck has capillary worms she needs to be treated for five days in a row with fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur).

If she were mine i think I would pretend like she had not been de-wormed, go buy Safeguard for goats, and great her for five consecutive days.

Just need to check, does everyone here reading this thread understand that Panacur and Safeguard are identical?

Last edited:
They called today with her blood results and said she had a high parasite level
What type of parasite did they find in the blood? The types of parasites that the de-wormer treats are never found in the blood, they are found in the poop test.

If they found parasites in the blood I think you need to go back.

Last edited:
What type of parasite did they find in the blood? The types of parasites that the de-wormer treats are never found in the blood, they are found in the poop test.

If they found parasites in the blood I think you need to go back.
The vet took blood on Tuesday and called today, and said everything was normal, except some count was high, showing she had parasites. And I said, okay, but you dewormed her on Tuesday, and she said yes but I would still like to examine her poop, to know the type of parasite she has.

The vet took blood on Tuesday and called today, and said everything was normal, except some count was high, showing she had parasites. And I said, okay, but you dewormed her on Tuesday, and she said yes but I would still like to examine her poop, to know the type of parasite she has.
Can you call them and ask for a copy of the test results?

A high eosinifil count in the bloodwork is commonly an indicator of a high parasite load. It would not show what parasite, however. While it is best to know what parasite you are dealing with, I agree with casportpony, get the safeguard and dose for 5 days. Probably should dose the buddy too.
:bow thank you, I learned something new today.
"A high absolute eosinophil count indicates that there is an elevated number of eosinophils — a type of white blood cell — in tissue or in the blood. Because white blood cells like eosinophils fight infection and cause inflammation, a high absolute eosinophil count may indicate a viral or bacterial infection, parasites, allergies, or asthma."
https://www.fastmed.com/health-resources/high-absolute-eosinophils/

A high eosinifil count in the bloodwork is commonly an indicator of a high parasite load. It would not show what parasite, however. While it is best to know what parasite you are dealing with, I agree with casportpony, get the safeguard and dose for 5 days. Probably should dose the buddy too.
Thank you! Do I just follow the directions in the safeguard bottle? Or am I to give different dosing for my ducks??

If your duck has capillary worms she needs to be treated for five days in a row with fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur).

If she were mine i think I would pretend like she had not been de-wormed, go buy Safeguard for goats, and great her for five consecutive days.

Just need to check, does everyone here reading this thread understand that Panacur and Safeguard are identical?
That is good info to know, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom