Sick duck please help! Don't know what's wrong with her

duckymama2

Songster
7 Years
Jun 16, 2014
Oak Hill, Florida

Hope this works. There is a video link attached. What is wrong with my duck. She does what she's doing in the video plus her eye is brownish around it. This started really bad 2 days ago and started her on antibiotics in case there is an infection. Her vent looks very dirty around it, losing feathers, does the weird thing in the video, eye looks bad, and sometimes will lay with her neck stretched out. She hadn't laid with her neck stretched out today at all and seems just a tad better today than yesterday. Any ideas what is going on? I'm worried about the rest of the flock in case whatever she has will get passed on. Thank She![VIDEO][/VIDEO]

It could also be something neurological going on with her. Honestly, I think she should be checked out by a vet. There is definitely something odd going on.

Looks like she's choking on something and/or trying to regurgitate. Has she been eating/drinking/bathing/preening?

This was right after her bath. She drank water while in the pool, splashed around for a little bit and right afterward she started doing this yesterday. I haven't seen her eat. She is separated in the coop from the rest of them so she can have her antibiotics and see if she eats anything. She's let out of the coop for about 2-3 hours after work with the others.

Today she didn't do that but she did that for 2 days and I really thought she wasn't going to make it. She was gasping for air with her head down all the time. Today she has her head upright and seems better and is still on antibiotics.

Agreed with @Orca5094, if it's yes to all of the questions I asked...my next thought was possibly neurological. After that, toxin, poisoning of some sort.

If she has something in her throat, she may not be dunking her head (icky eye), preening or bathing (dirty vent), eating/drinking (feather loss). If she IS doing those things....need to look into less obvious reasons that a vet could help identify.

In all scenarios I can think of, choking for a couple days included, this looks like vet time
1f623.png

Then it may well have been a choking, something stuck in the throat situation, that has passed. Hows her eye/vent today? Is she preening?

Then it may well have been a choking, something stuck in the throat situation, that has passed. Hows her eye/vent today? Is she preening?

After her bath today she did preen herself. Her eye/vent look the same. She could hardly stand/walk 2 days ago. It took me a while to figure out how to get a video uploaded. She was bit by a pit bull about 2 months ago. The only thing I can think of would be an infection from that but she healed up really well from that. We didn't let her go outside until she was completely healed and was on antibiotics then.

@BantyChooks what is the name of the worms that obstructs the larynx, I can't think of it for the life of me

Back
Top Bottom