Sick duck? PLEASE HELP!!!

Kaylaemmeeich

Hatching
May 4, 2020
My duckling is about a month old, she is a Pekin and is probably about 2 pounds. Today I walked into the coop and their water dish was bone dry it seemed that they had spilled the dish. I immediately gave them water and put them in the kiddie pool so they could drink and cool off. (I have two ducks but the Rowan isn’t sick or showing any symptoms of being sick). I took out the Pekin and she was fine , I let them roam around around while I cleaned their coop. When I was finished cleaning I noticed that she was walking all funny almost as if she were drunk. And then I went to go grab more water and I came back and she was laying on her back. Her poop when all this was happening seemed very watery and diarrhea like, then I let them inside the house to eat and drink a lot and to get her to settle down because her drunk like walking seemed to make her tired. As we had them inside she kept eating and drinking (all of this drinking and eating was on her own) and then about 20 minutes later she now has solid poops. Is this a sign of her getting better? Could she have been dehydrated? A cold from the pool? Botulism? Also we still have them on chick starter feed, should they be on different feed now that they are bigger? Also a little update that just happened: she’s walking A LOT better but it looks like she has bode feet (where she’s walking inward) please help ASAP!!! Thank you

Make sure they're getting enough niacin. It's very important for ducks and there isn't much in chick feed. Brewer's Yeast has some in it, and you can supplement it, too. I don't know if there was an underlying cause, though. I'm gonna tag @Miss Lydia
Just regular niacin supplements over the counter? Or are there certain ones animals need?

Aw little cuties! I honestly don't know much about where to get it etc.. but my first thought from reading your post was niacin deficiency so it's most likely worth looking into getting some of that. I'm on a facebook group called 'Ducks r us' and it's been really helpful with info regarding niacin. The liquidy poop though is probably because of drinking lots of water from the kiddie pool, but good to hear its getting back to normal now

Here’s a picture of her feet, does it look like niacin deficiency? Thanks by the way!

Attachments

• 302F67EF-FC56-468C-80CF-8B09C8E2B0B3.jpeg
    302F67EF-FC56-468C-80CF-8B09C8E2B0B3.jpeg
    593.6 KB · Views: 4
Liquid B Complex from TSC is the best for niacin deficiency. If this is what it is and is an inexpensive way to find out.. she may have been dehydrated is it hot where you are? If she’s walking pigeons toed she most likely has a niacin deficiency.
Hi @Miss Lydia, so She’s starting doing a lot better but I took her out for a swim today and afterwards the same thing happened, she got all out of balance after being in the pool and seems to be really unbalanced in the pool as well, where as the Rowan does perfectly fine after a swim and swims really well, he is smaller though I don’t know if that plays a role but do you know why these problems would occur after a swim to only one of them? If there was something wrong with the water I would assume it happen to both of them. Also I did get them b complex, and we’ve bought them mealworms as well for more nutrients. But yea anyways if you know any reason that would help a lot thanks! (She also does this thing where she like stands perked and then hunches over, it looks like she’s about to poop or throw up but doesn’t i don’t know if that information helps but yea)

Hi @Miss Lydia, so She’s starting doing a lot better but I took her out for a swim today and afterwards the same thing happened, she got all out of balance after being in the pool and seems to be really unbalanced in the pool as well, where as the Rowan does perfectly fine after a swim and swims really well, he is smaller though I don’t know if that plays a role but do you know why these problems would occur after a swim to only one of them? If there was something wrong with the water I would assume it happen to both of them. Also I did get them b complex, and we’ve bought them mealworms as well for more nutrients. But yea anyways if you know any reason that would help a lot thanks! (She also does this thing where she like stands perked and then hunches over, it looks like she’s about to poop or throw up but doesn’t i don’t know if that information helps but yea)

Genetics and the amount of microflora in the birds gut can affect whether they will be affected by being fed a niacin deficient diet, not uncommon at all to see only one bird affected out of the whole flock. Could you post a video of her doing the hunching over movement?

Back
Top Bottom