Sick Duck!! Update

Baralak

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
West "By God" Monroe, La
Our two Rouen's brood in a large tupperware bin with a wire mesh top and a brooder light sits on top in my mine and my wife's bedroom. At 2:30am this morning I heard one of my ducks (the female Dolly) making a huge racket. Lots of peeping. So I looked over a the brooder didn't see anything in the brooder, but they never make noise at night as well as when they peep, both peep. So I looked over in the brooder and found my male (Daniel) laid on his side, legs straight out, and head pulled back against his back eyes opened. I quickly picked him up and he was all but limp. My wife woke almost in tears after seeing me standing there holding Daniel. About a minute had passed and he kinda popped back into shape. Could he have over heated? Has anyone seen this before?

I was completely amazed that Dolly made such a racket until I made it to the brooder. As soon as I got Daniel out, she quit peeping. Ducks are truly amazing. They are now on a towel in my wife's lap.

Last edited:
Was it like he was having a seizure at all? It is possible he had a seizure due to overheating. But it could have been so many other things as well.

I don't think so.. He's still not "Right". He seems to drift off to sleep quite often, head laid over. Any stimuli and he will wake up, but as soon as he becomes still, he dozes back off. The strange part is how he lays his head laid on the side.

It sounds like a possible seizure... My Vinny did this once, where we thought he died, but he snapped right back to normal and hasn't had once since. He was older though, probably 4 months old. Make sure they have plenty of water, that it's not too hot in their brooder (get a thermometer), and add poultry vitamins and niacin or brewer's yeast to food/water. That should help. Pics of how he sleeps will help too...

Ok... Daniel is still with us... We observed him and let me tell you all what I see... His head is kept in the fully retracted position. We put him in the sink with his friends and we noticed that he swims with only one leg. The other leg just kinda hangs. He can walk, but is really clumsy. His legs and joints seem to be a little big compared to his other hatch-mates. We are treating him with Poly-Vi-Sol mixture and niacin mixed with Plenty of water. Feed is grower Dumore.

It sounds neurological. That could be caused by something physical (a blow to the head, deformity), or chemical (niacin deficiency), or it could have some other causes. But to be safe I'd make sure he's getting enough niacin, enough water, electrolytes, and I'd watch the temperature carefully. Good that his buddy called for help! It may be possible he has a congenital defect that has caused something like a stroke - very unlikely, I think, but something to consider.

Well I hope that it is something with time will correct. I hate seeing him this away. I've emailed my state vet to see if there is a poultry vet around my area.. I hope he has some information.. I just need my little duckie fixed..
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom