Poultry Health
and
Disease

By Paul McMullin
© 2004
Click Here to
Order Your Copy

Introduction
Young ducks and geese may suffer from Eimeria spp infection. In the goose E. anseris is the most important, while in ducks Tyzzeria perniciosa is most pathogenic. Tyzerria has eight sporocysts in each oocyst, compared to four per oocyst for Eimeria. Coccidiosis occurs only very rarely in commercially reared ducks in the UK.

Signs

• Sudden death.
  • Depression.
  • Blood-stained vent.
  • Tucked appearance.
Post-mortem lesions

• Massive haemorrhage in upper small intestine.
Diagnosis
Signs, lesions, microscopic examination of scrapings (usually few or no oocysts, large number of merozoites). Differentiate from Duck viral hepatitis, Duck viral enteritis, anatipestifer.

Treatment
Sulphonamides (e.g. Sulphadimidine 30-600gm/100 birds/day, 3 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on), Amprolium, Vitamins A and K in feed or water.

Prevention
If required coccidiostats could be used in feed, however, this is not routinely practiced. Hygiene.

Can you post a picture of this duckling's poop, and can you post a video of the duckling? To post video, upload to YouTube or Vimeo then copy/paste the link here.

Here is a video. If you need more let me know. Should show stool also.

I work at a large hospital and if I can't get an answer here, I'm going to take a stool sample in and makes slide and see if I can appreciate any ooycysts on microscopic exam.

I work at a large hospital and if I can't get an answer here, I'm going to take a stool sample in and makes slide and see if I can appreciate any ooycysts on microscopic exam.

I'll tell you what...Not coccidiosis related and he won't probably survive much longer.. I think you as the owner knows this too.. Possibly time to put it down. No member here on BYC can help you fix that issue..Might prolong its suffering but can't fix the Bird....Sorry it's in that condition..

I'll tell you what...Not coccidiosis related and he won't probably survive much longer.. I think you as the owner knows this too.. Possibly time to put it down. No member here on BYC can help you fix that issue..Might prolong its suffering but can't fix the Bird....Sorry it's in that condition..

I figured as much, just wanted to consult with others first. What do you think is wrong?

I don't think it's cocci either just wanted Op to have the info about it.

I am not sure what is going on with your lil one sure doesn't look good though almost looks like some kind of skeletal deformity poor lil one.

Have you have your ducklings on any form of B3 since you got them?

I figured as much, just wanted to consult with others first. What do you think is wrong?
Something is not right and could be neurological or ?
In my honest opinion it should be culled so you can enjoy the living..I'm not being mean to you. I have one here that needs Culling and I just have to get it done...Best wishes..

While I doubt it's coccidiosis, I have seen coccidiosis cause some strange neurological problems in chickens, poults, and peafowl. I think that with a heavy load it can rob the animals of the necessary vitamins and minerals, which *could* present like this.

Anyways, it's if it were mine I would separate it from the others, weigh it, and get a really close look at it's poop. In the video, it looks like it's having a hard time breathing, which you said in your first post, and the neck looks deformed. Can it straighten it's neck?

How much work do you want to do to try to save it? Lots of things you could try, but it will require lots of work.

I appreciate everyone's input into this problem. I made the difficult decision to cull the duckling. Whatever it had seemed syndromic and probably not something I can treat. My differential at this point is a congenital problem vs an overwhelming parasitic infection. The duckling appeared deformed - it could be manually aligned in proper anatomic position and would do so itself rarely, usually when moving. It's feathers were abnormal. It did not appear to ambulate normally. It seemed to be very hard of hearing. Respiratory difficulties. Somnolence. Occam's razor would suggest one explanation for all of these symptoms. These two problems are the only ones I could come up with. If it was congenital, I can't fix it. If an overwhelming parasitic infection, sufficient to grossly impair nutrient uptake to this extent... it is likely the duck's GI system (and likely other systems) has been irreparably damaged and again... I can't fix it. This was unfortunate. I hope the other 6 ducklings do OK. So far, they seem totally fine.

Back
Top Bottom