Sick duck

rp riley

Songster
Apr 17, 2020
Central Oklahoma
I first noticed one of my ducks acting weird about 2 weeks ago. She will just stand separate from the rest of the flock. She won’t eat hardly anything but drinks a ton. She just kinda stands there with her eyes half shut. I’ve been letting her sit in warm tubs of water and have gotten her to drink electrolytes. She has pooped a few times and it’s just a little bit of white stuff

I first noticed one of my ducks acting weird about 2 weeks ago. She will just stand separate from the rest of the flock. She won’t eat hardly anything but drinks a ton. She just kinda stands there with her eyes half shut. I’ve been letting her sit in warm tubs of water and have gotten her to drink electrolytes. She has pooped a few times and it’s just a little bit of white stuff
-Pictures of poop and duck when you say her eyes are half closed?
-When you say she won't eat hardly is this 24/7 or just when you're around?
-How old is she?
-When you say she has pooped a few times are you monitoring all of her poop 24/7? Or do you mean just today?

I just moved her into a crate for the past two days. She had food in there but I don’t think she has ate but a few nibbles. She is very skinny. I haven’t noticed any poop in there but haven’t looked throughly. I have been letting her swim in a tub of warm water and that’s when I see the poop. It’s kinda white and yolky. I don’t have a picture of her poop right now. She just drinks tons of water when she’s in her tub and when I picked her up today to put her back she like threw up a bunch of slimy clear liquid.

Attachments

• 9CFC57ED-D43B-4149-B0F2-3C60D77D3696.jpeg
    9CFC57ED-D43B-4149-B0F2-3C60D77D3696.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 4
I just moved her into a crate for the past two days. She had food in there but I don’t think she has ate but a few nibbles. She is very skinny. I haven’t noticed any poop in there but haven’t looked throughly. I have been letting her swim in a tub of warm water and that’s when I see the poop. It’s kinda white and yolky. I don’t have a picture of her poop right now. She just drinks tons of water when she’s in her tub and when I picked her up today to put her back she like threw up a bunch of slimy clear liquid.
Can I ask why you separated her? Was she eating and drinking fine before separating her? If she has already been exposed to the others unless they are bullying her separating her is only going to stress her out which may be why she isn't eating now. As for the throwing up any time you pick a duck up you have to be very careful not to put pressure on their crop or they will throw up.

Can I ask why you separated her? Was she eating and drinking fine before separating her? If she has already been exposed to the others unless they are bullying her separating her is only going to stress her out which may be why she isn't eating now. As for the throwing up any time you pick a duck up you have to be very careful not to put pressure on their crop or they will throw up.
She had already not been eating for a while and she is very skinny. I figured that I would separate her and try to get her to eat more and let her soak in warm baths without the drakes messing with her. I can tell she is just getting weaker

I don't know for sure of course but she may have an infection going on. Do you have access to a vet? If it's egg yolk peritonitis she will need medication. Or another type of infection but a vet can give you the right one that can help.
Does she act like she is cold? That is the only reason I would remove her from her flock. If she is sick and it's cold where you are you would need to place her where she can be warm.
If she isn't eating and she has gone quite a while without eating then you might want to start gathering what you need to tube feed her The vet can help with that too.

She had already not been eating for a while and she is very skinny. I figured that I would separate her and try to get her to eat more and let her soak in warm baths without the drakes messing with her. I can tell she is just getting weaker
If she had not been eating for two weeks she would be dead so she had to of being eating something just when you were not around. Ducks do not last long at all without food and separating her just to get her to eat will only have the complete opposite affect. I would take her to a vet as soon as possible to get a better idea of what is going on.

Back
Top Bottom