Sick Duck

Went to vets office and was given Tylon and Meloxicam for pain. Seems a little more perky today after being separated. Still is not eating so I mixed some cornmeal into the water. Its very fine so I am hoping it stays suspended in the water. I also put some soggy bread down with fresh veggies and meal worms. My fingers are crossed!

Do you feed your ducks reg poultry feed? mixing some in warm water to soup consistency will sometimes entice them to eat.

Vet says infection? did she have any idea where?

SO he is drinking up a storm but not eating... I ground up some greens and meal worms into his water with electrolytes. I tried some scrambled eggs and bananas too. He has made a mess but doesn't seem to have anything but water in his poop. His spirts are better. He hisses at me and bites at me now which is an improvement to being docile. His posture is better but he still is moving his neck like he is cleaning but I don't think its that. I massaged his neck last night incase something was in there. The vet didn't see anything. I tried putting food into his mouth and he would just shake it out. I am going to try some oat meal maybe. I am wondering is anyone else has ideas of items I can put into his water to maybe get some calories into him? I tried soggy bread and he didn't touch it. I have a stuffed animal in his area too. Unfortunately, I had a little duck but my daughter took it back.

When my Runner was sick I ended up tube feeding her it's not hard at all to do and can sure get them feeling much better. You'll need to get some baby bird food and the material for doing the tube feeding but it's so worth it to get them feeling good enough to eat on their own.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/ he may just need a jump start. Add poultry vitamins to his drinking water and a probiotic because antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria.

Filled up the standing shower with a couple inches of water and noticed he was nibbling at the ground. I put the food he had spilled in there after he finished cleaning himself. It looks like he is eating a little.

So I tried to reintroduce him today and they are being aggressive towards him. He wouldn't eat inside so I thought maybe being back with his flock would help. Now I wonder if that was the trouble to begin with. When I got them I wad told they were all male. If fact o think its a 3-1 ratio... Is there a way to seperate him but still keep them together?

So I tried to reintroduce him today and they are being aggressive towards him. He wouldn't eat inside so I thought maybe being back with his flock would help. Now I wonder if that was the trouble to begin with. When I got them I wad told they were all male. If fact o think its a 3-1 ratio... Is there a way to seperate him but still keep them together?
I took him back inside and brought the female in. I am hoping she will incourage hin to eat

Back
Top Bottom