Sick duck

Pics

Maryjeanash

Chirping
May 17, 2022
To start out my duck hurt her leg when we first got her and she has always had a Limp..now duck 3 days ago..all of a she can't walk.. the first night that I realized that she couldn't walk she was had diarrhea and it was all white and then the next day she got out but she kind of walks a little tries to but then always falls face first down almost like she's lost her balance.. then the second night I went down to check on her and she was pooping dark green diarrhea.. now she has a male that is with her all the time and he is not gotten sick yet that I noticed, just trying to bite us cuz we're trying to figure out what's going on with her.. so I'm hoping you guys have suggestions or no maybe what could be wrong with her... And another thing we just had two turkeys died last week and I don't know why for sure.. they was all together.. the turkeys had white poop too but they can walk and everything until they got down when they was dying that last like a day when they were down.. they really don't think it's the same thing at least I pray not because I do not want to lose my duck.. so anybody has got some help that would be great.. thank you

What breed of duck and what do you feed your ducks? How old is she? Is the male overmating her? Usually you need 4-5 females per male. These are some basic questions that might help people be better able to assess what's going on. Also, any video or photo helps!

What breed of duck and what do you feed your ducks? How old is she? Is the male overmating her? Usually you need 4-5 females per male. These are some basic questions that might help people be better able to assess what's going on. Also, any video or ph

What breed of duck and what do you feed your ducks? How old is she? Is the male overmating her? Usually you need 4-5 females per male. These are some basic questions that might help people be better able to assess what's going on. Also, any video or photo helps!
Here is a video.. any other questions let me know.. hopefully I can get it sent

First I would say that she has to eat a duck diet, which includes nutrients specific to ducks. Cracked corn and chicken feed isn't enough and that could be why her legs are so weak. You can order duck specific food online if your feed store doesn't carry it. She probably was never given proper niacin, which bigger ducks especially need extras of when they're growing. You might not be able to reverse the condition at this point, but giving her duck food and also getting some liquid vitamin B complex and starting her on that ASAP might help her get strength. It says injectable but you give it to her orally.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 2
She looks like a pekin, and pekins really need niacin above and beyond what they can even get in the duck food at times. I really think that is your issue. I would call your feed store and see if they have the vitamin B complex or order it ASAP from amazon. It can do wonders. You can give it to her daily until you see improvements. Over treats, or use a syringe and send it carefully down the side of her throat. I wouldn't force her to walk while her legs are so weak, but keeping exercised in the pond is good - you could lift her in and out if she needs help. I feed my ducks Mazuri Waterfowl which I purchase from Chewy.com. I also buy Purina duck from my local feed store. I would make the change to duck food for her as soon as possible.

Does that vitamin b have niacin i. It.. another thing I forgot about that I do every night is give her mealworm just like a handful on the food I give her in her pen because I keep the ducks in a pen inside the chicken barn... it's a basement of our barn.. once in a while, not every night, I give her a little bit cat food.. not even a handful but I quit because I heard it wasn't good for them but they sure do give nuts over it.. they like it better than the mealworm.. what do you think about putting apple cider vinegar the mother of apple cider vinegar in her water and giving her mint garlic.... Cuz I had to do something right away because she didn't even make it tonight down stairs in the chicken pen I had to carry her and usually she at least makes it down to the chicken pen.. it was raining all day so I end up bringing her into the barn and she sitting here all day and he did too of course with her ..i know he wanted to go out cuz he was trying to get her to get up but she wasn't having it...

Back
Top Bottom