Sick duck

Pics

Maryjeanash

Chirping
May 17, 2022
To start out my duck hurt her leg when we first got her and she has always had a Limp..now duck 3 days ago..all of a she can't walk.. the first night that I realized that she couldn't walk she was had diarrhea and it was all white and then the next day she got out but she kind of walks a little tries to but then always falls face first down almost like she's lost her balance.. then the second night I went down to check on her and she was pooping dark green diarrhea.. now she has a male that is with her all the time and he is not gotten sick yet that I noticed, just trying to bite us cuz we're trying to figure out what's going on with her.. so I'm hoping you guys have suggestions or no maybe what could be wrong with her... And another thing we just had two turkeys died last week and I don't know why for sure.. they was all together.. the turkeys had white poop too but they can walk and everything until they got down when they was dying that last like a day when they were down.. they really don't think it's the same thing at least I pray not because I do not want to lose my duck.. so anybody has got some help that would be great.. thank you

She looks like a pekin, and pekins really need niacin above and beyond what they can even get in the duck food at times. I really think that is your issue. I would call your feed store and see if they have the vitamin B complex or order it ASAP from amazon. It can do wonders. You can give it to her daily until you see improvements. Over treats, or use a syringe and send it carefully down the side of her throat. I wouldn't force her to walk while her legs are so weak, but keeping exercised in the pond is good - you could lift her in and out if she needs help. I feed my ducks Mazuri Waterfowl which I purchase from Chewy.com. I also buy Purina duck from my local feed store. I would make the change to duck food for her as soon as possible.

First I would say that she has to eat a duck diet, which includes nutrients specific to ducks. Cracked corn and chicken feed isn't enough and that could be why her legs are so weak. You can order duck specific food online if your feed store doesn't carry it. She probably was never given proper niacin, which bigger ducks especially need extras of when they're growing. You might not be able to reverse the condition at this point, but giving her duck food and also getting some liquid vitamin B complex and starting her on that ASAP might help her get strength. It says injectable but you give it to her orally.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 2
Ducks tend to have runny/watery stools, this is normal, they drink so much water. If you can get a picture of the suspect stools, that would help. The white is urates, bird version of pee. The brown is likely from her feed. The green is is probably grass or weeds or something like that that she ate. I am not worried about the diarrhea for now, if you can get a picture, that would be great.
Don't feel badly, you are doing the best that you can and you are asking questions and getting help, that's being a good ducky momma. ;)

@Maryjeanash you are getting excellent advice and help above.

I can't emphasize too much that ducks need specific duck food to meet their nutritional requirements. Your white duck is probably a pekin and they need more than average Niacin [Vit B] in their diet.

Your priority must be getting liquid high level vit B complex [Durvet is one brand] and giving 1ml every day on a treat so that you know your duck has eaten it. [The bottle says it is for injection, but it is only used by mouth in ducks.] It may take a week or more before you see improvement in your duck. Continue for a further two weeks, but during that time add brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast to the duck pellets. Brewer's yeast is cheaper and you can get it from Amazon. Or directly from
https://www.joshsfrogs.com/brewer-s-yeast-5-lbs.html
But read the label of the product before you purchase to be sure is contains Vit B3 niacin/niacinamide. I use 1 tablespoon brewer's yeast per cup of duck pellets. Your duck will need to continue added brewer's yeast for her life time.

Next, please prioritize buying duck food -- she can eat duck pellets at her age. I use Purina duck pellets from Tractor Supply, there are other brands of duck food -- including floating preparations, but they are more expensive.

Is your girl laying eggs? She needs added calcium if she is laying. I buy crushed oyster shells and leave it available in a separate dish by their food. The ducks know when they need it and will help themselves.

Although your girl is struggling to walk at the moment, she will find it easier to move on water. Does she have a kiddie pool to swim on? Buckets of water are good for bathing and drinking, but she needs to be able to move around on the water. The easist way to give her that is by filling a kiddie pool or a child's plastic sandpit with water.

Welcome to BYC!! You have found the right internet site to help and support you! Good luck and keep us updated on progress.

Last edited:
I will today will be 3 days that I started her on duck food and the vitamin. I did end up ordering Josh's frogs brewers yeast. They did have the 5lb bag at Amazon .I won't get it till Tues Tuesday.. let's just all hope it works. .I know the black male duck is getting bored but he stays right with her. Still biting any of us that come around her... lol

Maryjeanash thank you for sharing the videos -- they are very helpful for us to understand what is going on

I think your duck seems to be improving on how she was on May 17. Her issue is chronic leg problems from long term lack of niacin and probably protein in her diet, and you are doing the right things now:

Durvet 1ml per day on a treat [for example mealsworms] so that you can watch her eat it.

Brewers yeast on her food: sprinkle 1 tablespoon on every cup of duck food

Feeding duck pellets: she needs one cupful in the morning and one cupful later in the day -- leave any uneaten where she can return and help herself when she wants to.

It will take time -- could be months -- for her to get stronger again. Letting her exercise as much as possible in water is really important. It's ducky physiotherapy! The water takes the weight off her leg joints and allows them to move. She was moving both legs in the pool in your video.

I think that your "babying" her is good -- help her in and out of the pool as you don't want her to get an injury on top of her chronic leg problems.

It's good that she has an attentive drake that she wants to be near and he wants to be with her. Be sure that he doesn't start over mating her. And discourage him from mating out of the pool. Its better for her legs that he only mates with her in the pool.

We will be here for you long term as you nurse your girl back to good health and stronger legs!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom