Sick duck

Your just going to have to keep her on the liquid B complex. Depending on how long it's been going on depends on how long it takes to recover.
I was wondering about eating since I free feed my birds even though they free range I just think my layers need the extra nutrients since their bodies are making eggs. Is you drake mating her? that maybe should not be happening while she isn't walking well. Is she eating good? also she needs to be getting 1ml of the liquid B complex daily.

Your just going to have to keep her on the liquid B complex. Depending on how long it's been going on depends on how long it takes to recover.
I was wondering about eating since I free feed my birds even though they free range I just think my layers need the extra nutrients since their bodies are making eggs. Is you drake mating her? that maybe should not be happening while she isn't walking well. Is she eating good? also she needs to be getting 1ml of the liquid B complex daily.
She's getting the b complex daily..so should I be feeding her more? Yes he is mating her..I don't really know how to keep him away from her. . I think they both would due without bei g together.. she cry's when I separate them at night . He's always right beside her all the time...

They really do need each other and as long as he isn't going crazy on the mating some drakes are so overboard with mating they would keep a duck from recovering.
If she is laying I would at least give them feed in the morning and in the evening. Especially now with her needing more nourishment since she is having trouble walking. She probably isn't doing much foraging either right now?

I think you should definitely be making her duck feed available to her all day, with the added yeast. Also give the 1 ml vitamin B complex. It will take awhile for it turn around since she's been depleted for so long. I would continue to let her exercise in the pool, maybe lifting her out when she's done so she doesn't hurt her legs by jumping. If you could get the next bigger size wading pool she might be able to paddle around also, which could help her develop strength. Also, you should be thinking about long term and how male ducks need 4-5 females fpr a proper ratio, so one does not become over-mated. It sounds like he's pretty well behaved, but it might also help you to have some extra females so he's not bored and that gives her some extra friends as well.

I think you should definitely be making her duck feed available to her all day, with the added yeast. Also give the 1 ml vitamin B complex. It will take awhile for it turn around since she's been depleted for so long. I would continue to let her exercise in the pool, maybe lifting her out when she's done so she doesn't hurt her legs by jumping. If you could get the next bigger size wading pool she might be able to paddle around also, which could help her develop strength. Also, you should be thinking about long term and how male ducks need 4-5 females fpr a proper ratio, so one does not become over-mated. It sounds like he's pretty well behaved, but it might also help you to have some extra females so he's not bored and that gives her some extra friends as well.
Did you hear her when I put her in her cage at night? Do you think I should be doing that separating them at night? I put their cages side by side to the right there together but she cries and he cracks... And tonight tonight she actually walked into the hen house in around in there so she's doing better I think this first time I've seen her walk in a while and not fall

Maryjeanash thank you for sharing the videos -- they are very helpful for us to understand what is going on

I think your duck seems to be improving on how she was on May 17. Her issue is chronic leg problems from long term lack of niacin and probably protein in her diet, and you are doing the right things now:

Durvet 1ml per day on a treat [for example mealsworms] so that you can watch her eat it.

Brewers yeast on her food: sprinkle 1 tablespoon on every cup of duck food

Feeding duck pellets: she needs one cupful in the morning and one cupful later in the day -- leave any uneaten where she can return and help herself when she wants to.

It will take time -- could be months -- for her to get stronger again. Letting her exercise as much as possible in water is really important. It's ducky physiotherapy! The water takes the weight off her leg joints and allows them to move. She was moving both legs in the pool in your video.

I think that your "babying" her is good -- help her in and out of the pool as you don't want her to get an injury on top of her chronic leg problems.

It's good that she has an attentive drake that she wants to be near and he wants to be with her. Be sure that he doesn't start over mating her. And discourage him from mating out of the pool. Its better for her legs that he only mates with her in the pool.

We will be here for you long term as you nurse your girl back to good health and stronger legs!!

Last edited:
The other day thue I seen him on her in the cage and she didn't want it but she's the one crying and trying to get to him ... She's sticking her beak thrue the cage trying to get to him.. do I should put them together?? I am going to ?

Maryjeanash I heard her squeaking at night in the video. I don't know why she was doing that -- I could also hear the drake chattering away to her. Our pekin females don't squeek that I know of, but our muscovy female has started queaking which we think is because she is broody.

Back
Top Bottom