Sick duck

Djhanse

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2022
This duck has had discharge from both of its eyes and i read that could be a respritory infection? No vets anywhere near me deal with birds. If it is and infection what should i give it??
20220617_073952.jpg
20220617_073857.jpg

It is most likely the duck got something in it's eyes and is irritating. The discharge fluid from their eyes to help clean out their eyes and it can build up on their face if they are not cleaning their eyes properly. Make sure you have deep water for the duck to dunk it's head in. In my experience, Pekins are not always the best at cleaning themselves. I would put it in a clean bath to encourage cleaning, especially if yours doesn't like to bath.

To clean any irritant out and help heal the eye, rinse the eye with saline 2-3 times a day for a week or so. I like to use a syringe to clean with, but you need to make sure you don't blast the eye. I would do this first. If it gets worse, it is likely infected and needs antibiotic. You can use terramycin then. Baths and saline rinses usually help clear it up though.

Back
Top Bottom