Sick Duck :(

sara44

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
i have 4 ducks... 2 indian runners, 2 pekin ducks, (1 female 1 drake) My beautiful Pekin Duck is almost 6months old, she has gone very quiet, and kept her distance from the drake and the indian runners.. they are always together so this is not normal behaviour. The drake has been mating with her quite regulary in the past 1-2weeks, how long does it take for her to start laying? perhaps she is having some problems there, her mouth area is normal, no poop on the tail feathers, and as far as i can tell her is a bit hard in the belly area... she never lets me pick her up but this morning she didnt even bother moving when i came near her i have picked her up and put her away from the other ducks so they cant walk on her, she is taking small sips of water but she is not feeding. should i take her to the vet?
Please help!

It's somewhat normal. She is getting very close to lay her first egg. Her hormones have changed and that can be quite confusing to a female duck. They usually isolate themselves a little bit or at least keep some distance from the rest. She will get back to normal as soon as she lays her first couple of eggs. The not eating part is of some concern. I have never noticed that on hens before they start to lay, nor have I ever noticed other ducks walking onto them. Seeing a vet may be a good idea.

Thanks for your help
smile.png
I only moved her incase they walk on her the other ducks havent walked on her so far... i'm hoping her appetite will pick up soon i will keep a close eye on her today and if she hasnt had much to eat by tonight i will take her to the vet.
sad.png
hate seeing my duckie in pain
sad.png

Don't want to scare you, but that's how my swede was acting, real stand offish, just looking out of the fence, away from the flock, during Feeding time!!! Now she hasn't walked in a week, and refuses to eat. she'll just drink a little, real careful. I don't know what's wrong, but i hope your duck fares better than mine!

Thats how she is acting to the tee.. just real careful how she drinks and its really slow.. she doesnt even want to look at the food or even a boiled egg her favourite she wont touch it
sad.png
she doesnt walk much and its getting less frequent.

maybe you should take your duck to the vet if its been acting like that for the past week
sad.png
POOR DUCKIES

It says your inbox is full so I'll just post my reply here
smile.png

Aww that's not good to hear, I put her back in with the other ducks this morning she seems to be interacting fine with them, she has eaten a hard boiled egg yay and some feed she went for a swim and now she is cleaning herself and running away from me once again not like she can move fast right now I'm confident she will be ok and hopefully I may have some eggies very soon
smile.png
might even try to hatch a few
smile.png
where abouts are you in this massive world of ours? Thank you for your help and comments, I do hope your duckkie will be ok!

Back
Top Bottom