sick duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by happyfamilyfarm, Mar 9, 2013.

1. happyfamilyfarm

happyfamilyfarm New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Need help with baby duck. Was fine a couple days ago and now can't seem to keep its head up. He tips over head first and we continues to fall face first to the floor. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Brooder temp? What are you feeding? Using for a waterer? How old is the duckling? Please provide as many specifics as possible to help us in helping you. [​IMG]

3. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    Are you providing extra niacin - the right kind? Also, as jdywntr asked, give us some more information. Thanks!

Here's a link on basic duckling care and what to do when it appears sick - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/747850/help

4. happyfamilyfarm

happyfamilyfarm New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Feeding unmedicated chick starter. Gave probiotics and electrolytes yesterday, The baby is about 1 week old. Water and feed are the standard baby feeders with the screw on container. brooder temp is right between 90 and 95 under the light and 80 on the other side. He stays under the light besides to eat and drink. He walks around kind of like he is drunk and we find him quite often on his back.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would back the heat lamp off a bit, after a week, 85 would be the maximum temperature I would use. Also I would add niacin to the water since you are using chick starter.

How many ducklings do you have? Are the others acting okay?

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    In addition to Amiga, are you SURE that baby is eating and drinking? Pooping? Ducks don't get pasty butt like chicks but you want to make sure everything is functioning. Ducklings need a waterer that they can get their head in to wash eyes and nares.

Is it alone? Where did you buy it?

7. happyfamilyfarm

happyfamilyfarm New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    bought at TSC where wifey works, No it is not alone, he has 5 other duck mates. The rest appear to be just fine. We have a good chicken/duck person at this TSC and if the batch has had a high death rate from the get go, then she will pull them and give extra tlc. He seems better this morning. they have no problem drinking out of waterer, their bills get pretty well covered. Will pick up niacin when I get off work.

8. happyfamilyfarm

happyfamilyfarm New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    ohhh and yes I watched it eat and drink last night, and it pooped and peeped on my living room floor also, so those are all for sure.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]Best waterer for ducklings, they can wash out their eyes and nares but can't climb in and drown.

1 person likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I thought about the same thing, Miss Lydia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by