Sick Duckie

Ellyhutch

Songster
Dec 15, 2020
I have an almost 4-month-old Khaki Campbell who has had a patch of feathers on her shoulder that have been slow growing. I checked them out today and they look infected. I haven't seen the other ducks pecking her but perhaps they are. But it looks like these feathers just aren't growing in. What's going on with her? Does she need antibiotics and separation for this? Personality wise, she's my most energetic and curious, but also the runt of the litter. I love my little Fran and want her to feel better!

Attachments

• PXL_20211017_171217241.jpg
    PXL_20211017_171217241.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20211017_171152588.jpg
    PXL_20211017_171152588.jpg
    604.5 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20211017_171141274.jpg
    PXL_20211017_171141274.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20211017_171124633.jpg
    PXL_20211017_171124633.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 5
If they are continually pulling on her feathers, they won't grow back. Is she wet or is that just from rinsing her? I don't think antibiotics would be helpful in this case. But, observing the flock to see what's happening would be beneficial.
What's the set up like? How many ducks?

If they are continually pulling on her feathers, they won't grow back. Is she wet or is that just from rinsing her? I don't think antibiotics would be helpful in this case. But, observing the flock to see what's happening would be beneficial.
What's the set up like? How many ducks?
She's wet from swimming this morning. They nip at each other every now and then but I really haven't seen them bullying her in particular. I have 5 ducks total; the older 2 are terrified of the younger 3 so it's definitely not them 😉 they are in a 15x25 or so run and 4x6 coop at night.

I have 2 drakes that are constantly back and forth, that's exactly how their feathers look because they never give it a rest. I'd just take some time to sit down and really observe what's going on with your flock. At least it would answer your question if any of the others are picking at her.
Do they have adequate swim water?

A bald spot can be prone to being pecked by others. If this is a continuous bald spot I would spray it with blue kote. It should keep the other ducks from pecking at it and it's anti-fungal so if there is something funky going on it should help.

I have 2 drakes that are constantly back and forth, that's exactly how their feathers look because they never give it a rest. I'd just take some time to sit down and really observe what's going on with your flock. At least it would answer your question if any of the others are picking at her.
Do they have adequate swim water?
They have a pretty big pool - 2 ft deep and 4 ft across. I change the water every 2-3 days. I have seen them nip at each other but not bully her in particular so it just seems odd she would be the only one with the bald spot.

A bald spot can be prone to being pecked by others. If this is a continuous bald spot I would spray it with blue kote. It should keep the other ducks from pecking at it and it's anti-fungal so if there is something funky going on it should help.
Thanks - I will try that!

I got Blu Kote and have been putting it on every other day and she's still pecking at herself. They all pull at each other in the pond every now and then, but no one is specifically targeting her. She's definitely doing the extra pulling down to the skin herself. Should I wrap her up for a while? Is there a wrap that would stay waterproof? Happily it doesn't look much different - doesn't look infected or have a smell or discharge or anything. But I definitely think it's bothering her to the point she can't leave it alone.
@Crazy Maizie @HollowOfWisps

Is she pecking at it or preening? Have you seen her actually pull feathers out? Ducks like to clean themselves (think kind of like cats) only they look like they're nibbling since they don't lick. As for growth feather growth in general is slow. I can't tell from the pictures, but is the skin discolored like there is an infection underneath?

Back
Top Bottom