Sick duckie

Yes the niacin I have is GNC Niacin 250 tablets.
On the back it says niacin 250.
I am also giving a couple drops on polyvisol a couple times a day.

I think it's time to bring him inside. He is just laying there and flies are starting to crawl on him.

Yes the niacin I have is GNC Niacin 250 tablets.
On the back it says niacin 250.
I am also giving a couple drops on polyvisol a couple times a day.

I think it's time to bring him inside. He is just laying there and flies are starting to crawl on him.
Probably a very good idea. Has he been eating and drinking through all of this? . I put a PM to a friend on here that just went through Botulism with one of her ducks to see if she had some insight but she has responded
sad.png

One question..has the Vet or yourself given him activated charcoal? If this is in fact botulism, he needs that a lot more than the antibiotic as the antibiotic isn't really going to touch the poison. I would get some into him as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more the toxins are building up in his system. I can't stress this enough...if this is botulism he needs the charcoal. If you don't have any tablets in the house, but have fish, you can crush the charcoal used for their filter to a fine powder, mix with water and get that into him. 1 full tbls charcoal to 1 tbls of water or less, you want a slurry, not too thick, but not too thin either.

Botulism works as a neurotoxin in the body, quiet and dim light are the best as well as some warmth and quiet. I have just succesfully treated a duck with botulism and she is doing just fine now and just about ready to rejoin her flock mates. It takes time and patience to get through this. Super B Complex vitamins are what I used as well as a regular poultry vitamin mixed in her water. 1 half human Super B and the poultry vites for 4 days, then cut the Super B down to 1/4 tab along with the vitamins. I used a different antibiotic. As Baytril seemed to be the drug of choice in this instance and me not being able to get it, I used human Cipro. Again, the antibiotic is more to keep the duck from getting secondary infections, but the combination I used worked very well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/806231/dilemma-help-please

This is a link to my thread if you care to read it.

I read your thread once before and just read it again.
My little one isn't seizing. She is eating some and drinking water with niacin.
She swam today and tried to bathe.
Would the charcoal flush interfer with antibiotics?
Or hurt if its not botulism?
Where can I get activated charcoal?

I have B complex but switched to Polyvisol.
It seams to have more vitamins.

Also I have heard conflicting ideas on keeping them warm some say keep them cool when fighting botulism.
I'm not 100% sure it's botulism.
Some say they need sunlight.
I had him in the basement with a heat lamp.
But with the AC going its 66 degrees down there. So I just brought him upstairs by a big bay window still with heat lamp

Sorry for all the posts but trying to get as much info as I can.
When he tries to stand up its like he hunches his back stiffens up then falls over.

Here he is hunched up trying to stand.
null_zps20e29f2d.jpg

Trying to walk....
null_zpsc89a5d12.jpg

Then here is all 5 with my relaxing by a tree.
null_zps6512dc3e.jpg

Here is the little sick guy and his buddy
null_zps829af094.jpg

Awww. Sorry but I don't know a thing about botulism. I would reason that charcoal might very well make antibiotics less potent, but if the antibiotics aren't going to treat the bot. Then I guess I wouldn't be too concerned about that. I guess space out the dosages. Like give charcoal first, then 4 hrs later the antib. ... Just long enough so each "therapy" has a chance to work. Personally I change my ducks water at least every day. Best of luck to you and yours.

I read your thread once before and just read it again.
My little one isn't seizing. She is eating some and drinking water with niacin.
She swam today and tried to bathe.
Would the charcoal flush interfer with antibiotics?
Or hurt if its not botulism?
Where can I get activated charcoal?

I have B complex but switched to Polyvisol.
It seams to have more vitamins.
My girl wasn't seizing at first either. They didn't happen until the second day after I found her sick. Yes the charcoal will interfere with the antibiotic, HollyDuckFarmer's post below is exactly what I would do and did with mine. A activated charcoal won't hurt anything. It is the safest way to get rid of toxins there is. The pharmacy, Wally world..I would call ahead to make sure they have it. I have it both in pill form and capsule. I gave 2 capsules in a small amount of water with a syringe. Please be very careful with this, make sure it's going down the right tube!

The reason I said the Super B Complex, not just B Complex is #1 the amount of the Bs in it and also the super B has C included. I also used a regular poultry vitamin at the same time. The Poly has some of the Bs and A, C, D, and E. The poultry vites have all of the Bs plus the A,C,D, and E. The one I used was Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes. The reason I recommend the extra Bs is botulism acts as a neurotoxin. It hits the central nervous system and plays havoc causing seizures that can stop breathing, the heart,ect.. It can also start destroying the internal organs. The B vitamins, along with the C, can and will help the body overcome this affect of the poison. Don't get me wrong..they are not a cure, anymore than the antibiotic is, they are support so that your duck can fight this. Your best and first line of defence is the charcoal. This is one thing everyone should have in their med kits for ducks especially.

One more thing, if you read my thread, you know that this is an on going recovery. If it's botulism and not E.coli, it's going to take quite a while for the little one to get over it. Please don't give up, read up on both of them and you will see the affects both of these have on the body. It's been almost 3 weeks now for my Bea and while she is making wonderful progress, I wouldn't think about putting her out with the rest of the flock yet. Too many chances for her to go into a decline and she is still not 100%. My best to you and your little one. Oh, one other part of the 'cure' not mentioned...pray...a lot.
Awww. Sorry but I don't know a thing about botulism. I would reason that charcoal might very well make antibiotics less potent, but if the antibiotics aren't going to treat the bot. Then I guess I wouldn't be too concerned about that. I guess space out the dosages. Like give charcoal first, then 4 hrs later the antib. ... Just long enough so each "therapy" has a chance to work. Personally I change my ducks water at least every day. Best of luck to you and yours.
Exactly what I did HollyDuckFarmer. Charcoal first as you want the toxins absorbed by it and then passed out of the body. I can't stress this enough...activated charcoal is the best and in some cases only chance you've got to save a duck from botulism. The quicker you spot it and get the charcoal into them, the better the chance of survival.

Thanks so much everyone. I'm not giving up on the little guy.
He was very strong with his legs today trying to get the antibiotics down him.

On that link with the flushes it says you need to give the charcoal 6-8 times? 6-8 times in one day or once a day 6-8 days in a row?
I work all day and won't be able to do that until Saturday.
And I can't tube so should I just put it in a syringe and drop it in his bill let him swallow it?
I will try to get charcoal today

Back
Top Bottom