Sick duckie

His head isn't up but moving. Either stretch out forward laying down or resting on his body. His mouth is opening and closing none stop. I'm guessing because of neuro issues.

Will he be ok in the sling all night?

I am new to BYC and I have noticed a lot of good and bad advice --- unfortunately, some of it can be fatal for your pet.

If your pet ingests a poison say a toxic plant, moldy grain or anti-freeze then the gastrotestinal tract absorbs it within 12 HOURS. After that window of opportunity, a purgative or flush is pointless. At 7 days, charcoal could cause an intestinal blockage. Caused the duck to not eat because he is full of charcoal.

Furthermore, activated charcoal only acts to absorb liquid as it passes thru the gut.

Let me quote the Merck Vet Manual: in botulism "pathologic changes may be ascribed to the general paralytic actions of toxin particularly in the muscles of the respiratory system rather than to the specific effect of toxin on any particular organ".

Iodine is a broad spectrum antiseptic, activated charcoal is a designated carbon and tumeric is a spice.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi --- If he is still hanging in there you may want to try to see the vet this morning. Also, I wanted you to know that I think you & your girlfriend are GREAT duckie parents. You have gone above and beyond.

I will check in later. I have more info that could help you.

Activated charcoal can be useful but not a week after the substance is ingested. By then, it is into the system beyond charcoal's reach. You should discuss this with your vet.

Take Care!

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all your advice and research. I am someone who takes my animals to the vet as soon as I know something is wrong and I don't know what it is. We are first time duck "parents" so when we knew something was wrong with our little guy we took him in. I had a very difficult time finding a vet that would even see him. The vet has been calling to monitor his progress, at this point is has no other treatment she can offer him. When she examined him and put him on the Amoxicillin, she said that legally that is about all she can give him because he is considered a "meat animal" (even tho she knows we will not be eating him). I'm not sure if this is true for everywhere or just where we are located. My bf has been doing all the research and pretty much everything to help this little guy. We are just trying to give him a chance at life. If he does not improve, we have a plan in place if have to humane euthanize him which includes have a necropsy performed. We want to make sure that our other babies don't get this and possibly help someone else if they find themselves in this unfortunate situation. Again, thank you everyone who has offered advice, whether we attempted your suggestions or not we appreciate everyone taking this time to research things and post info so quickly.

Thank you for all your advice and research. I am someone who takes my animals to the vet as soon as I know something is wrong and I don't know what it is. We are first time duck "parents" so when we knew something was wrong with our little guy we took him in. I had a very difficult time finding a vet that would even see him. The vet has been calling to monitor his progress, at this point is has no other treatment she can offer him. When she examined him and put him on the Amoxicillin, she said that legally that is about all she can give him because he is considered a "meat animal" (even tho she knows we will not be eating him). I'm not sure if this is true for everywhere or just where we are located. My bf has been doing all the research and pretty much everything to help this little guy. We are just trying to give him a chance at life. If he does not improve, we have a plan in place if have to humane euthanize him which includes have a necropsy performed. We want to make sure that our other babies don't get this and possibly help someone else if they find themselves in this unfortunate situation. Again, thank you everyone who has offered advice, whether we attempted your suggestions or not we appreciate everyone taking this time to research things and post info so quickly.
Can you give us an update on how is doing today?

He made it through another night.
He is still the same. His sling is keeping him upright and not tensing up or seizing and laying on his side or back.
Gave amoxicillin this morning.

Trying to give about 30cc of vitamin electrolyte water every hour.
Keeping him warm.
He just had a bowl movement more charcoal out.
I'm done with charcoal.
As for the eating he stopped eating when the seizures came.

He made it through another night.
He is still the same. His sling is keeping him upright and not tensing up or seizing and laying on his side or back.
Gave amoxicillin this morning.

Trying to give about 30cc of vitamin electrolyte water every hour.
Keeping him warm.
He just had a bowl movement more charcoal out.
I'm done with charcoal.
As for the eating he stopped eating when the seizures came.
Thank you, Hoping and praying for the lil one.

Prayers for you guys. I have to say, it sounds like you guys are doing the best you possibly can for the situation. Sometimes when things look like they aren't going to get any better, they do! Just never give up on him. We had a dog that all the vets said was going to die from the disease she had but we didn't listen and kept doing research and nursing her in any way we could and she pulled through! Just keep trying guys. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom