Sick Duckling - Impacted Crop??

juliepurcell

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Hello, we just received three runner ducklings last week. One of the ducks has a pouch full of fluid below her beak, around her crop. We are newbies and don't really know what is wrong. Maybe an obstruction? She is still moving around, but isn't too swift. She seems like she is in a little bit of pain. Any thoughts or ideas? We did find an avian vet, but they can't get her in for awhile. Thanks so much for your help!

Don't have an answer...but ducks do not have a crop like a chicken....it is more like an expandible esophagus...just below the bill wold make me look to see if food was impacted under the tongue.

Clint

water fowl need to be able to wash their bills out continuously, they need a bowl or bucket some kind of container that is deep enough to stick their heads into, They have to wash down their feed , alot of people use chick waterers for ducklings and after about the first week don't work at all because they can't clean out their nares. what are you feeding and are you offering grit? if your feeding anything other than their crumble they need to have grit.

I would dif check under the tongue like Clint suggested. here is some info also.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Thank you so much all. The little baby passed away last night. We have two others, so this is still great info. It is hard to see something that wants to live so badly pass on. We ordered it from a hatchery that is only a state away, but they drop shipped all the way from California. (We are in PA). We think it just didnt have a chance.

Thank you so much all. The little baby passed away last night. We have two others, so this is still great info. It is hard to see something that wants to live so badly pass on. We ordered it from a hatchery that is only a state away, but they drop shipped all the way from California. (We are in PA). We think it just didnt have a chance.
So very sorry.. not a good way to join but I welcome you to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom