Sick duckling not making any progress. Help!

Cowgrl4life

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
Several nights ago (probably at least a week ago now) I got my ducklings out for their nightly bath in our tub
hide.gif
Now the tub must have gotten a little full because I came back a few minutes later and a couple had jumped out, but all still seemed to be ok. By the end of bath time though my little black cayuga ( I believe) seemed completely disoriented. He kept flipping backwards onto his back and couldnt keep his balance. I thought I had read that meant they had gotten too cold, so he was isolated so the others wouldnt walk over him and was given lots of heat. This helped a little, but not enough. Days later he is still separated and although he can stand on his own he cant keep his balance and just stumbles around. He's still eating and drinking, and I've tried vitamins and electctrolytes in his water, and I've also tried Duramycin the last couple days since I was starting to wonder if it was some illness. Still really no improvement. Although he is eating and drinking, he's losing weight and the other ducklings his age are all bigger than him now. The pics are of him in the bath tub last night. I kept the water shallow so he wouldnt drown and kept a close eye on him, he really needed a bath and I needed him out of his brooder so it could be cleaned lol. The two ducks behind him are both his age, so you can really see the size difference. He was the same size before. They've also gotten in more feathers in than him now. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with him or have any suggestions for better treatment? I've done all I can think of
barnie.gif

53391_sany0414.jpg

53391_sany0415.jpg

That points to head injury. He may have hit his head hard either in the tub or while jumping out. There is nothing you can do, but give it time and hope that it will improve. A good trick is to close the shower curtain so they have a visual barrier and will not try to jump out.

So you would still say head injury even though he still seemed fine when we found him out of the bathtub and didnt seem disoriented or injured until later when we took him back to his brooder?
hu.gif

Head trauma is not always visible right away. The brain swelling needs time to set in. Only time will tell and it can takes weeks to heal. I hope your duck will recover fast.
People with brain injuries very often seem to be fine. Hours later they start with a headache and become disoriented. They sometimes die later while sleeping. Your duck seems to be past that stage, but may need more time to heal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom