Sick Duckling Please Help

Lindy Acres

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2022
Last week we hatched 5 Ancona ducklings and up until yesterday everyone seemed fine. Yesterday I noticed one was not eating when the others were eating and had very little appetite. I feed them-

Scratch and Peck Feeds Organic Starter Mash Chick Feed - 10-lbs - 20.5% Protein​

Since yesterday he seems significantly smaller than the others. I tried scrambled eggs. I mix nutritional yeast into their feed. This morning no improvement so I mixed a little molasses in his water and fed him a bit of soggy breakfast.

He seems really unsettled. Lots of single peeps, head shaking, consistent twitch, won't rest, but looks exhausted.

here is a video of him:

and a photo: (he is the blurry one because all the others are settled and he just won't)

Screen Shot 2022-07-09 at 10.16.59 AM.png

His crop feels soft. I felt his and then the others and it feels the same. I haven't noticed him pooping. I keep watching and I haven't seen anything. The others are pooping consistently.

His crop feels soft. I felt his and then the others and it feels the same. I haven't noticed him pooping. I keep watching and I haven't seen anything. The others are pooping consistently.
Possibly sour crop? When mine had it they barely had any stools aswell. I would isolate him just in case for any further disease. What bedding are they on? Mine would eat the smaller shavings. Check his crop early in the morning. A healthy crop should feel empty in the morning. I would personally take out his food and leave him just with water.

So sorry your little duckling isn't well! Yes I agree how does his crop feel? I'm not entirely sure whats going on with your little guy but this is what I did for my duckling that wasnt eating. Your little guy sounds to have a bit different case but heres the thread with this info.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sleepy-duckling-not-eating-much-help.1518463/
Thanks we sure hope he pulls out of it. I read your thread yesterday actually! I'm so glad your little duckling was ok :)

Possibly sour crop? When mine had it they barely had any stools aswell. I would isolate him just in case for any further disease. What bedding are they on? Mine would eat the smaller shavings. Check his crop early in the morning. A healthy crop should feel empty in the morning. I would personally take out his food and leave him just with water.
I use rubber shelf liner, towels (washed daily), and fresh clumps of grass and dirt (suggested in "Duck Eggs Daily" book). I will separate him today and see if a little TLC helps. Did yours with sour crop eventually recover? Thanks for the help too

I use rubber shelf liner, towels (washed daily), and fresh clumps of grass and dirt (suggested in "Duck Eggs Daily" book). I will separate him today and see if a little TLC helps. Did yours with sour crop eventually recover? Thanks for the help too
It really depends on the case. I've had some that recovered and some that have not.

This blog really helps and goes over all the treatments https://oakabode.com/sour-crop-home... is a yeast,swelling & distention of the crop.

Lefty is looking much better today. Just one of the gang! Not sure anything I did helped but I'll list it here incase it is helpful to someone someday:
-probiotics added to water
-brewers yeast added to food
-fed scrambled duck egg with yogurt three times per day
-short swim in a little tub of warm water
-diffused some lemongrass oil for him to breath (I read it is good for killing mold spores)

he is the one on the left with the sideways heart shape on his head. Yesterday he wouldn't settle down at all, but today he is :)

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 10.29.54 AM.png

I didn't realize my husband is singing "Highway Man" in the background. Maybe only watch the video on mute lol

Back
Top Bottom