Sick Duckling sitting on haunches

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aostrout, Jun 9, 2010.

1. aostrout

aostrout New Egg

Jun 2, 2009
    Hello,

I have a 7 day old indian runner duckling who just today became ill. He is sitting on his haunches but will walk around on them if forced to, he is crying and seems to be having some labored/ open mouthed breathing. He is still eating and drinking, just not moving around much, any ideas?

thank you
    Amanda

2. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    I don't know but will bump you up.
    Is he alone? Does he have company?

3. aostrout

aostrout New Egg

Jun 2, 2009
    he actually passed away a few hours after I posted. There are 2 other 7 day old ducklings and one 2 week old crested duck. the crested duck seems lethargic today.

4. JohnTheDuck

JohnTheDuck New Egg

Jun 19, 2010
    I'm sorry your duckling passed. We had a couple of Pekins that developed the same proble. The food turned out to have medication in it. It wasn't written on the bag but on a separate label attached to the bottom of it. When we realised this and changed the feed the ducks had already gained too much weight for their little legs and couldn't walk correctly again. The vet switched us to a lower protein feed and we purchaces antiinflammatories for their inflamed hocks. I even made a sling for them so they didn't carry any weight for a few days. Changing the feed isn't helping. The medication and rest however has definitely reduced the sweling so their pain is gone. they walk on their hocks but don't move well. They seem content though. Just wanted to share our experience so that hopefully someone else will learn from our oversight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by