Sick duckling?

Dogface208

Chirping
Dec 29, 2017
Northish Idaho
These are my first ducks and I ordered them from Metzer. They all look pretty healthy except for the male. He was pooping blood when I first got him and didn't have as much energy as the girls. He, to my knowledge, is only drinking water with vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics and not eating. I saw him poop finally and it was very watery with little color to it, maybe light green. He is still weak and spends most his time under the heater. Any ideas? I have a 10 month old (human) so I can't really carry him around or spend all day with him.

Thanks

He is the one on the right, with eyes half closed. He just pooped again and it was a tiny bit of pure white.
20180322_105745.jpg

Did you just get them in the last couple of days? It could be shipment stress. You can try putting some electrolytes into the water. If you can't get to the feed store you can mix 1 TBSP sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt and if you have it, 1 tsp salt substitute (for potassium chloride, but that one is optional) into a gallon of water.

Y
Did you just get them in the last couple of days? It could be shipment stress. You can try putting some electrolytes into the water. If you can't get to the feed store you can mix 1 TBSP sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt and if you have it, 1 tsp salt substitute (for potassium chloride, but that one is optional) into a gallon of water.
Yes, I got them yesterday. I ran out and got the vitamin/electrolyte and probiotics yesterday and they have been drinking that exclusively. I also have fermented feed for them with brewers yeast.

Ive noticed today he just randomly comes from underneath the heater and stands there for a while? He just did the backwards scoot thing, but no poop came out.

I
You might try just allowing them starter crumbles at first until they are less shipping stressed. Then gradually change their feed. the fermented feed might be a bit much for them at first.
I will put some regular crumbles in there. Everyone else is eating it no problem. He doesn't even try. I've tried putting some on my finger hoping he'd peck at it, but he doesn't peck.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom