Sick duckling

BrooklynT

Hatching
Sep 22, 2020
I work at a farm supply store and the hatchery sent us a shipment of about 25 ducklings and once I unloaded them into the coop I noticed one kept toppling over and couldn’t walk so I took that one and another home to take care of it and help it heal and I tried putting it in a sock overnight I’ve done niacin and electrolytes and vitamins for about 5 days I ordered brewers yeast to add to the food and he just doesn’t seem to be getting and better he eats and drinks by himself when her rolls himself over to the feeder and water but he just seems exhausted and now he’s constantly flicking his head and clear liquid is coming out of his nose. The other duckling is doing great and is now twice the size of the sick one how to I help him.

Can you upload a video? From your description of the ducklings behavior it almost sounds neurological especially if it's been this way from the start. Is it by any chance crested?

I am not sure how to attach a video is there a certain way to do it? I think it’s a Pekin Duck I’m not sure though. He’s gotten better about falling over but he definitely has a runny nose I let him play in the bath tub and he cleaned his nose and face off but is still shaking his head

I am not sure how to attach a video is there a certain way to do it? I think it’s a Pekin Duck I’m not sure though. He’s gotten better about falling over but he definitely has a runny nose I let him play in the bath tub and he cleaned his nose and face off but is still shaking his head
You can upload it to YouTube (or other video sharing platforms) and post the link.

I’ve recently hatched pekin duck eggs, and out of the 10... one of the ducklings was runty. The duckling was a lot smaller than her other siblings, and would get picked on. The first couple of days of life, the duckling would wobble while walking, eyes closed, and has clear liquid poo. After removing her for multiple solo feedings, provided additional probiotics to help her floral gut bacteria, and brewers yeast... she started to catch up in size with the rest of her flock. They were fed manna pro duck and gosling starter grower 😁

Hope the ducklings recover 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Hi there, welcome to BYC. Sorry to hear your duckling is feeling unwell.

Could you provide us with some additional information, so we can better help your duckling?

Could you provide us with a video of the duckling? I see the member above was kind enough to explain how to do that. Could you post a few pictures of her poops? You mention the snot is clear, not yellow, or brown colored, correct? Do you have any pictures of your setup? Does the duckling appear to be breathing fine, if you gently hold your head up to her back area does it sound normal? If you don't know what normal is, you can use another duckling as a reference.

When I hear the duckling is producing fair amounts of mucous and is not growing very much. I'm inclined to think there might be an infection of some sort, that's also affecting her upper respiratory tract and is possibly causing inflammation, and swelling in her upper throat area. Another possibility would be environmentally related, such as cedar bedding, which can irritate birds throats, or something as simple as a dusty pen, or lack of deep water, but I would be inclined to think the other duckling we be showing similar symptoms.

Another possibility (as mentioned above) is she has a neurological condition that is directly affecting the way she is able to get food, and water down, and she is getting feed/ and water stuck in her airways, and esophagus.

Back
Top Bottom