Sick duckling

naadhira

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 11, 2014
This is my first clutch of mama-hatched ducklings. GreyLady hatched out 7 out of the 11 eggs in her nest over the weekend. Today I noticed one of the babies was having trouble keeping up with the others - wobbly on its legs. I isolated it in a box with a heat lamp, water, and food, but it hasn't moved and seems to just keep getting weaker and weaker. It's still peeping every few minutes, so it hasn't just given up.

Baby is anywhere from 3-5 days old (not sure which of the grey ducklings it is). I've tried forcing it to drink, but it'll only swallow if I pry open its beak and drip the water into the back of its throat. It isn't pasted up.

Mama took the babies into the garden yesterday, so it's *possible* it ate something disagreeable - although the only things in there right now are the blueberry bushes and a bunch of duck-friendly weeds. The only other food they've had is non-medicated starter crumbles. I'm guessing baby is needing some kind of supplement, but what? (Before I dash out to the feed store...)

Oh, these are Indian Runner Ducks.

B vitamins, especially niacin is often too low in their diets on chick feed. If you think it's a toxin, a light sprinkle of food grade activated charcoal (good to have around the house for many reasons) in a cup of water or on moistened food may help, not likely to hurt.

100 to 150mg of plain niacin per gallon of drinking water is what Storey's Guide recommends.

Back
Top Bottom