Sick/Dying Silkie?

Krystallite17

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2018
Hello peeps,

My baby chicks have been pretty active, healthy, eating, drinking...I check on them all the time. Just now I went into the room and saw one chick laying down looking dead.. I tap the cage like I always do when I see the chicks lay down sleeping but thought omg he died! I picked him up and he started chirping like crazy but would close his eyes right away...

His breathing is really slow and he lays his head down in my hand turned sideways like he is dead and sometimes tries to walk but falls. I touched his back with my finger and he loudly chirps, and opens his eyes sometimes. I got a syringe and gave him some electrolyte supplement with water and he became alert then, but didn't drink and went right back to drooping head and staggering.

What could the problem be? These chicks are over 2weeks now and read this happens during the first couple of days??

All chicks are on medicated feed and were doing great up until now. Heat lamp is on them and all the others are running around eating and drinking and pecking at stuff, but this one just fell random so I separated him and he has his own, food, water and heat lamp.....

breathing is really slow and he lays his head down in my hand turned sideways
sometimes tries to walk but falls
went right back to drooping head and staggering.
over 2weeks

Can you post some photos?
What does the poop look like?

The head drooping/turning sideways, the staggering and falling - makes me think Wry Neck - this is a neurological symptom from certain conditions like vitamin/nutritional deficiency, head/neck trauma or injury and diseases like Marek's, Newcastles and Avian Lymphoid Leukosis. Since this Silkie is around 2wks old, vitamin E deficiency or head injury are more likely.

Try to get your chick hydrated. The electrolytes are fine, but you will want to provide poultry vitamins that contain Vitamin E, B1 and Selenium. Poultry Cell would be a good choice. You can also use human vitamins - squeeze a vitamin E capsule and add it to the food along with a 1/4tab of B-Complex vitamins (no iron). Selenium is found in egg and tuna. A little mashed up egg will be sufficient for that.

Thank you dearly for this information!!!

I just honestly refuse to believe I should just let him die just because "its life" from what I read.

the poop is honestly the same color as the others. a Dark brown with some white and yellow mixed in together that looks orange but not fully mixed in when I comes out.....

Im curious to how he could have gotten injured if he was..

oooo no.... With this update I believe one of the bigger ones might have done this to him. He is honestly the smallest silkie I have in their and noticed he was being "bullied" a lot more and pushed around like a toy by the others.

I know no guarantees but would his chances of dying be decreased if I leave him alone in brooder or do silkies have to be with other chicks so they don't die of lonliness?/

Can you place a wire barrier in your brooder? He will do better if he is near the others and can see/hear them. He will be a bit lonely, but if he is unable to get up, eat/drink on his own, he will be trampled. A stuffed animal for him to snuggle with may help.

Are all the other chicks Silkies too?

Thank you for the honesty.

Yes the others are also silkies from the same parents. This bloodline has been multiplied for over 50 years so I didn't expect this effect.

I believe my brooder right now might be too small for the wire separation, but I actually do have a small stuffed animal that I can use till I make more space. Before leaving to work I checked on him and he was still able to move his legs at a faster speed than yesterday, so hoping the electrolytes helped.

aww man.. what a rookie mistake I have done. Thank you both for this helpful information. I have faith that he is still alive and wanting for me to help.

I have already informed my partner on what you have shared and is going to make me a new brooder to separate the chicks and hopefully decrease any other injuries.

aww man.. what a rookie mistake I have done. Thank you both for this helpful information. I have faith that he is still alive and wanting for me to help.

I have already informed my partner on what you have shared and is going to make me a new brooder to separate the chicks and hopefully decrease any other injuries.

:hugs

Setting up another brooder is a good idea! Glad that you have a partner that will help you out.

Back
Top Bottom