Sick female chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alicatchick, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Alicatchick

Alicatchick New Egg

Apr 19, 2013
    We have a lethargic nine month old female chicken. Everything was fine and normal with our 10 girls and one rooster up until a couple of hours ago. I went into the run outside to give them some treats and one was sitting on the perch not moving, labored breath and could hardly keep her eyes open. We felt the crop to see if it was hard, it wasn't. She didn't look like she was pushing an egg -the vent was not actively trying to push an egg.

We separated her from the rest of the chickens in a warm spot in the garage. A couple minutes ago we checked on her and tried to see if she could walk and she won't move, won't try to walk, she can hardly keep her eyes open and has slow and labored breathing with her beak slightly open. She is not interested in drinking or eating and nothing.

I have no idea what to do at this point. I wonder if the rooster came down on her too hard and hurt her front chest?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. Alicatchick

Alicatchick New Egg

Apr 19, 2013
    Went back out to check on her and she died. RIP, sobbing...

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    So sorry. I know how hard it is to loose one.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Soo very sorry for your loss!

5. Alicatchick

Alicatchick New Egg

Apr 19, 2013
    Thank you.

I just wished I know what happened? She was so sweet. I miss her :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by