1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Flea Market Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DangerChickenHouse, Nov 17, 2013.

1. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I know. Bad idea. But my heart could leave the chicken there. So, I brought her home.

Doesn't appear to have mites.
    Poop looks fine.
    Coloring of comb is fine.

However, she won't do anything but stand up, sleep, with head tucked in wing. She's obviously sick. Can I help her?

2. will she eat? Any other symptoms?

3. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Isn't really eating. She scratched a bit this morning when free ranging. Didn't last long before she tucked her head under her wing again.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How long have you had her? How old is she? Have new birds been quarantined from your existing flock? Any signs of discharge from eyes/nostrils,have you checked for any crop issues? Have you looked her over for mites/lice? Any vent issues internal or external?

5. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Vent seems fine.
    There is moisture coming from her nostril.
    No mites or lice.
    Maybe 7 months old. Golden Comet.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You shouldve left the sick bird right where it was at and ran away from the flea market. You've risked infecting the rest of your flock with this sick bird. Most likely she has a respiratory disease and WILL spread it via airborne, your clothing, shoes, your hands, waterers, feeders....depending on what disease and incubation times it is. CULL.

3 people like this.
  7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Sounds like a respiratory issue,i personally have had no experience with respiratory issues so am hesitant to give dosage information. You could PM Eggcessive or Casportpony,both can give you correct dosage info.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have never treated a respiratory disease in my flock, but I keep Tylan50 in my first aid kit. Dosage is 1/2 to 1 cc/ml daily as a shot in the breast muscle for 3-5 days. Some say they give it orally, but you have to be careful not to choke the bird. An antibiotic in the drinking water such as Terramycin, Gallimycin, or Tylan Soluble Powder would also work. As Dawg53 said, culling to prevent disease spread in your flock would probably be wise, but if you chose to treat, this chicken may be a carrier that infects any chickens she is every around. Here is some reading--look particularly at mycoplasma G, infectious bronchitis, and coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  9. DangerChickenHouse

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Wonderful.

The chicken is quarentined. Hopefully nothing has spread. It's only been in my yard for 24 hours. Once I saw it hiding its head, I quickly moved it away from the others. It didn't drunk or eat anything, but I took away the water and feeder and replaced them with spares from the shed.

I left it in a separate part if the yard to free range when I was out running errands today. I just got home to find it acting like a normal chicken. Is it possible that the head hiding was a stress reaction?

I can get a neighbor to cull it for me. Just want to make sure I'm not overreacting.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  10. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I dont think so, especially considering the running nose

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by