Sick flock

chelsitbdx

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2015
South Louisiana
Looks like my father in law brought some infected chicks to my flock and
now I'm paying the price. Its looking like MG.
14 birds in my original flock. About 5-7days after the chicks arrived, I noticed the gurgling, gasping for air, nasal discharge in only one pullet. After isolating that one, I realized all were showing some lethargic behavior and soon all were gurgling and refusing feed. I did notice bloody looking tissue in the poop. Most have the green diarrhea.

All are on corrid, this is day 5. All are on Tylan 50, this is day 5-6. Some days only 2-4 are gurgling, but most days no one wants to eat or move around much. I'm worried about 2 worse off ones that I'm now having to feed by syringe daily. There's no major improvements in any one. My heart is so broken over my beloved birds. When is too long for Tylan?
Any advice appreciated. Ive since lost 2 since this began. One had MASSIVE liver with white speckles all over it.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Can you take them to a vet?

A vet may be able to prescribe you a better antibiotic. Keep in mind antibiotics will only treat any secondary infections associated with respiratory illness. Without testing, it's hard to know which illness you are dealing with, so if you lose another one, having some testing done would be a good idea.

The Tylan seems to have done the trick with the lung gurgling and sneezing. The 5 youngsters seem like nothing ever happened. Its the adults that just cant seem to bounce back 100%. At least not as quick as the littles. Most are picking at the scraps i throw them, 2 I'm still syringing to keep their energy up so that maybe they finally turn a corner and eat again. They move around, slowly, but only drink. I do plan on having any further fatality tested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom