Sick girl

EliseH

Songster
May 17, 2023
I found a few soft shell eggs over a period of a few days. She’s a year old.
Then she started hiding behind the coop. She’s still drinking but I have only seen her eat a tiny bit. Her comb looks dry at the tips. I moved her out of the main coop a few days ago. She looks a lot better but no poop that I can find. She is known for loose poop though. She’s looking a bit better and even has new feathers coming in where our Roo was not so gentle during mating. No eggs though. Today, another in our flock laid a soft shell egg. The girls get oyster shells daily. They eat Nutrena All Flock since the rest of my chickens are Silkies and require higher protein and I have a Roo.
I also saw one spitting up liquid.
Attached are photos of the original sick one’s comb. And a photo of the soft shell egg from today.

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpeg
    IMG_0846.jpeg
    852.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0845.jpeg
    IMG_0845.jpeg
    850.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0862.jpeg
    IMG_0862.jpeg
    670.7 KB · Views: 0
You can try giving human calcium citrate with vitamin d 300 mg daily for up to 7 days, to see if it is a calcium deficiency. There could be a problem with the shell gland part of the oviduct. I might consider getting layer feed with 4x the calcium as all flock feed.

You can try giving human calcium citrate with vitamin d 300 mg daily for up to 7 days, to see if it is a calcium deficiency. There could be a problem with the shell gland part of the oviduct. I might consider getting layer feed with 4x the calcium as all flock feed.
Waiting on the results from the fecal exam the Vet took. I should hear today or tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom