Sick Goat

Our show goats are always getting scours. It is more than likely from the combined stress of weaning, banding, new home and heat. Diarrhea with a fever usually needs antibiotics. I would suggest getting a drench syringe and giving him electrolytes that way. If he's that sick he probably won't drink much on his own. You can also mix a small amount of a nutrient supplement such as DYNE into the drench. This will help him have some energy.

Last year our vet suggested giving them SpectoGard which is an oral swine med for scours. Worked great!! It cleared the scours up in less than 24 hours. Tractor Supply usually has it. I would also give them Probios. It's a probiotic paste that will replenish the natural bacteria in their gut. Also available at Tractor Supply.

Keep an eye on him. Things can go from bad to the point of no return fast with young animals. Especially with the heat!

Hope this helps.

I didn't go over there today but yesterday I did. I didn't notice any scours and he was walking more. Today I was outside with my animals and saw him outside walking around so I'm assuming he's doing better. I'll probably go check tomorrow.

On another note with my goats. I have been noticing them scratching quite a bit lately and some hair lose. The black one also has a bit of a wiry(sp?) coat. I figured it's probably just mites/lice so I bathed them today. Just since they are pregnant I wanted to make sure it's not a mineral/vitamin deficiency. Mine do have a mineral block that is just for goats.

Back
Top Bottom