Sick Golden Retriever - long post, but need advice.

We took him in to the emergency clinic, and he's spending the night there. Xrays showed an enlarged tissue mass near his spleen. The Dr. said it could be a tumor that has grown quickly and is pushing on his intestine making it feel like a blockage. They are putting him on an IV and giving him pain medicine. Tomorrow, when we go to our regular vet, we have to get him an ultrasound. That should be more conclusive, and they can decide if this is treatable, and if we need to operate.

Nugget is really being a trooper--after all the xrays, he marched right out of the treatment room and sat down at the door to the clinic. It was like he was saying "I'm Ok...let's go home now." Of course a couple seconds later he had to lay down because he was worn out again.

I'm not sure how to add photos to a post, but if someone will tell me, I'll put one of him up. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I don't know if I'll be sleeping tonight with him in the hospital.

I don't know if I'll be sleeping tonight with him in the hospital.

I can feel your pain and I am so sorry. I am sure it will be difficult but know that he needs to be there to get better.

Go to FAQ section and it has a how to guide to load your pics.

Keep us updated we are praying for you and nugget.​

I worked as a vet tech for 9 years, and food is not important. The main thing is getting fluids into him. The sub-Q fluids should have held him over well for a while, now you need to give him plain, unflavored pedialyte. If you need to use something like a syringe, then do so. Just every hour give him some pedialyte, even through the night. If it were my dog I would take him to the vet, first thing in the morning. Do not force the food issue, if he does eat before his body is ready, it will set him back. I would also look around and see if he got into some poisen, since he is acting so lethargic. I will send prayers your way. Keep us updated.

I am so sorry. I hope your vet has good news tomorrow and they are able to make him well. Believe me, I know how much a part of the family our pets become. Your family is in my thoughts. I know we are all looking forward to the update.

I called the hospital at about 5, and they said that he is resting comfortably. At 4:30 when they took his temperature it was back to normal.

Here are some pics:

This one is Nugget with me and DH

DSC00409.jpg

This is his favorite spot in the house, right in front of the fireplace......

DSC00348.jpg

AWWW what a sweet looking dog! I pray that he is ok. Glad they know what is going on now at least...now you can treat it...hopefully! I hope you guys are ok too! I know how hard it is to lose a pet or come so close as you have
sad.png

I am sending many good wishes for Nugget and am so glad he's at the hospital and has gotten fluids. Hopefully he's resting more comfortably now. And hopefully he will be on his way to better days ahead. X-rays can be deceiving; the ultrasound should shed light. Will check back in to see how things are going. JJ

Back
Top Bottom