Sick Golden Retriever - long post, but need advice.

Such a beautiful boy. I hope everything turns out alright tomorrow. I know it is hard, but you need to try and get some rest, too. Maybe it will be a little easier knowing he is resting comfortably and his temp is normal.....

You know, you will probably need a vet's help to do this, but something to ask about. I have read ALL of James Herriot's books, many times. One of the stories I recall is a story he wrote about a dog he was treating who had the same symptoms as yours. The dog had enteritis, normally a simple thing to treat, but had progressed to where it wasn't responding to any treatment; constant vomiting, diarhea, shakes, etc. They didn't know what caused it either. What he finally did was to anaesthetize the dog enough to put her to sleep, (I mean natural sleep, not dead)...He kept her sleeping for 48 hours, or something like that...anyway, when she woke up, the vomiting and diarhea had stopped, and she did recover. His theory was that he was able to stop the stress and anxiety from all that violent bodily activity, and it gave the dog's body a chance to heal itself. He discovered this procedure accidentally on another animal. So, maybe a sedative would help your dog. Something to ask about...I would, anyway.

Boil/Saute some hambergermeat drain off and add some cooked rice. See if he likes that....it works for my dogs both young and old. You can add a bit if water to the rice beef .
This was my vets idea. Hoping for the best,Chris

Nugget is still at the vet. He had an ultrasound, and they found several tumors on his Spleen. They said from the ultrasound they appeared to be only on his spleen and have not spread. He will be going into Surgery at 3pm. Our Dr. said that that there are two types of tumors typical on the speen; one is a very aggressive cancerous type, the other is non-cancerous. His prognosis is good if it is the non-cancerous type, but if it is the other, he is projecting that Nugget will have 2 months left.

I'm so scared for him. I know he is 16, but he's still our puppy.

fl.gif
fl.gif
Hoping it's noncancerous
fl.gif
fl.gif

If it is unfortunately cancerous, it's possible that the holistic vet centers may have some innovative noninvasive suggestions. Not sure if you have one in your area, but even if not, a phone consultation with one should be possible.....I know of one such center. PM if you need info.
JJ

That's great that he is 16 and such a fighter! Go Nugget! We've got him in our thoughts, and are hoping for good reports back from the vet.

Nugget is home!!!! He is sleeping, and we have to take him back first thing in the morning, but they let him come home to sleep tonight. The surgery went well, and the great news is that there actually was not a tumor. His spleen had somehow folded over on itself, and was enlarged because it didn't have good blood flow through it. They straightened it out again, and took a biopsy of his liver and spleen. We'll have the biopsy report by end of week. Our current instructions are to keep him as inactive as possible, and to allow him to try to eat bland food in small quantities if he shows any interest. Our Dr. said he looks fantastic inside, and that all of his organs appear to be healthy. He's not out of the woods yet, but it was a great prognosis this evening.

Back
Top Bottom