Sick gosling, snotty nostrils and weezing, please help!

cutechick2010

Songster
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Illinois 20 chicken years
I have a super African gosling that arrived here in Illinois from CA last Thursday. When she got here, the third eyelid on both eyes was very swollen and red, one so badly she couldn't see out of that eye. I rinsed them with sugar/salt water and put in some Terramycin eye ointment. They improved greatly after that, but one eye is still just a bit puffy.
Now she is having breathing problems. Her nostrils are snotty, and she rattles/weezes when she breathes. She doesn't seem to be having a lot of trouble getting air, but enough that she opens her bill to take a breath.
I can't even find out how old she is, but my best guess is about two months old. She weighs five pounds. She and her young gander are outside on grass during the day, and indoors in a large sized storage tub at night. They are getting a meat maker feed that is a 21% protein. I know that is more than they should need at that age, but I thought I was getting day olds and bought feed for little babies. I really need some advice here, should I give her antibiotics? If so, what kind/dosage? If possible, I would prefer to use a herbal natural remedy, but I will do whatever it takes to get her better again.

I have a super African gosling that arrived here in Illinois from CA last Thursday. When she got here, the third eyelid on both eyes was very swollen and red, one so badly she couldn't see out of that eye. I rinsed them with sugar/salt water and put in some Terramycin eye ointment. They improved greatly after that, but one eye is still just a bit puffy.
Now she is having breathing problems. Her nostrils are snotty, and she rattles/weezes when she breathes. She doesn't seem to be having a lot of trouble getting air, but enough that she opens her bill to take a breath.
I can't even find out how old she is, but my best guess is about two months old. She weighs five pounds. She and her young gander are outside on grass during the day, and indoors in a large sized storage tub at night. They are getting a meat maker feed that is a 21% protein. I know that is more than they should need at that age, but I thought I was getting day olds and bought feed for little babies. I really need some advice here, should I give her antibiotics? If so, what kind/dosage? If possible, I would prefer to use a herbal natural remedy, but I will do whatever it takes to get her better again.
I posted on your other thread, I would not wait another moment with out getting your gosling an antibiotic or a vet visit. sounds like respiratory infection. with out some help you may lose her and it could also spread to her mate. I tried looking up Tylan 50 injectable to see if it's safe to give to gosling[geese] but couldn't find any info. but I would do this asap. She needs to be kept out of drafts and warm not hot but warm while she is fighting this off. Plenty of fresh water and feed and you say you are feeding her meat maker? geese are vegetarians. Also Get some Oxine AH this is awesome stuff here is a link with info about it. Also some vitamins for poultry would help boost her immune system. http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart"sorry don't mean to keep going on an on but another thing thats very important is keeping your goslings bedding clean and dry, the ammonia build up from their waste can cause brooder pneumonia and can be fatal. you can also use Oxine ah to spray down bedding and house you will be keeping them in.

Last edited:
I posted on your other thread, I would not wait another moment with out getting your gosling an antibiotic or a vet visit. sounds like respiratory infection. with out some help you may lose her and it could also spread to her mate. I tried looking up Tylan 50 injectable to see if it's safe to give to gosling[geese] but couldn't find any info. but I would do this asap. She needs to be kept out of drafts and warm not hot but warm while she is fighting this off. Plenty of fresh water and feed and you say you are feeding her meat maker? geese are vegetarians. Also Get some Oxine AH this is awesome stuff here is a link with info about it. Also some vitamins for poultry would help boost her immune system. http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

The meat maker is not actually meat, is it a chicken feed with a high protein meant to be fed to meat chickens to boost their growth. I have pennicillin on hand, and Tylan 200 but am hesitating to give her either one without knowing if it could be a problem, especially since I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what dose to give her. The vet closed several hours ago, so I can't get her in until tomorrow morning, and I honestly don't know how much my vet knows about geese. I will get her some of the vitamins tomorrow as well, that store is also closed already this evening.

The meat maker is not actually meat, is it a chicken feed with a high protein meant to be fed to meat chickens to boost their growth. I have pennicillin on hand, and Tylan 200 but am hesitating to give her either one without knowing if it could be a problem, especially since I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what dose to give her. The vet closed several hours ago, so I can't get her in until tomorrow morning, and I honestly don't know how much my vet knows about geese. I will get her some of the vitamins tomorrow as well, that store is also closed already this evening.
Okay I would suggest you PM Celtic Oaks Farm she has geese, hatches raises and sells them if anyone would know she would. She is a BYC educator also.

My suggestion is to get her inside on clean, dry bedding. A soft towel would be good as pine shavings or straw or hay can have dust. i've never heard of rinsing eyes with sugar water. Simple saline is good, and the terramycin eye ointment is great. i believe Tylan 200 is too strong. i have read that Tylan 50 is better. She may have a respiratory infection, and until you can get her to a vet, here is what i would suggest. i had a chicken that came down with a bad respiratory infection with rales. Brought her inside in a large wire pen. Covered it in a towel. Then got a pot of boiling water and put it outside the pen but under the blanket. Created a humidifier type of condition. i had some vetrx, which is sort of like a Vicks Vaporub, and put a couple drops in the water. It really helped and she cleared up within a day without antibiotics. This is something you can do super easy. Even just the humidifier water without any additive would help. But you really do want to get her into a vet, as respiratory infections can be deadly very quickly.

Please let us know how it goes.

Oh, and on the feed, i assume you are feeding Flockraiser/Meat Builder feed at 20% protein. Cut it with rolled oats (like Quaker Oats) to lower the protein level or they can get angel wing.

My suggestion is to get her inside on clean, dry bedding. A soft towel would be good as pine shavings or straw or hay can have dust. i've never heard of rinsing eyes with sugar water. Simple saline is good, and the terramycin eye ointment is great. i believe Tylan 200 is too strong. i have read that Tylan 50 is better. She may have a respiratory infection, and until you can get her to a vet, here is what i would suggest. i had a chicken that came down with a bad respiratory infection with rales. Brought her inside in a large wire pen. Covered it in a towel. Then got a pot of boiling water and put it outside the pen but under the blanket. Created a humidifier type of condition. i had some vetrx, which is sort of like a Vicks Vaporub, and put a couple drops in the water. It really helped and she cleared up within a day without antibiotics. This is something you can do super easy. Even just the humidifier water without any additive would help. But you really do want to get her into a vet, as respiratory infections can be deadly very quickly.

Please let us know how it goes.

Oh, and on the feed, i assume you are feeding Flockraiser/Meat Builder feed at 20% protein. Cut it with rolled oats (like Quaker Oats) to lower the protein level or they can get angel wing.
OK, thanks. I am going to get them some lower protein feed in the morning, and I will check to see if I can get the VetRX here in town or not. She is indoors now, in a big rubbermaid type thing. I am also going to get them some kale and romaine lettuce. I will dig out our humidifier and do that too.

OK, thanks. I am going to get them some lower protein feed in the morning, and I will check to see if I can get the VetRX here in town or not. She is indoors now, in a big rubbermaid type thing. I am also going to get them some kale and romaine lettuce. I will dig out our humidifier and do that too.
If you give them any thing to eat besides their feed then they need grit.

My vet is giving me Baytril for her, Celtic Oaks told me that would be best. My DH is picking up the Baytril for her while he is in town. I have tried giving them some kale, but they don't want to eat it? Her breathing is easier after spending the night indoors. I was wondering, since we are having a spell of very dry weather here, could all the dust and such outside be causing her breathing difficulties? Do geese even really get allergies? I feel really silly, but it has been a long time since I had geese and none of them ever got any kind of respiratory problems.

Cute, ask Hubby to stop at the store and get romaine lettuce and broccoli. Cute the flower heads off the stalks so she can easily nibble them. They are a fav for little ones around here. glad the vet was able to help. Keep is,posted.

My vet is giving me Baytril for her, Celtic Oaks told me that would be best. My DH is picking up the Baytril for her while he is in town. I have tried giving them some kale, but they don't want to eat it? Her breathing is easier after spending the night indoors. I was wondering, since we are having a spell of very dry weather here, could all the dust and such outside be causing her breathing difficulties? Do geese even really get allergies? I feel really silly, but it has been a long time since I had geese and none of them ever got any kind of respiratory problems.
She maybe having some problems with dust but I wouldn't treat this lightly, Give her the Baytril like prescribed and also i would give them both some kind of poultry vitamin to help build up there immune systems.. Poultry Nutri drench is a good one.

Back
Top Bottom