Sick GSL hen, need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pfields, Jan 26, 2015.

1. pfields

pfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Yesterday morning when feeding the chickens I noticed one GSL hen just stood with her eyes closed and didn't want to move. I picked her up and she didn't even resist. Her vent had some pale white stuff but her feathers were pretty much clean. Anyway, I brought her into the house and put her in the bath tub on puppy pee pads so I could keep an eye on her. Her poop was yellow with some white streaks (not white like worms though). Wish I had taken a picture but things are hectic here right now with husband in the hospital, baby chicks to take care off and now a sick hen. She laid an egg in the tub sometime in the evening while I was at the hospital. Still not eating or drinking. This morning I found she had laid another egg during the night. See picture of soft shelled egg with her poop beside it. What's wrong with her, any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    She laid two eggs within 12 hours and I know that's not normal.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. pfields

The poop looked like this picture but it's very cold here not hot weather like the example this picture was taken from Chicken Chick's site.
    [​IMG]
    Last week we had so much rain my yard looked like a lake.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she were mine I would bring her inside, weigh her and tube fluids at 15ml per pound and repeat in 60-90 minutes if her crop cleared. Then I would give her some calcium orally at 100mg per pound. While inside, I would keep her in a warm room, and if I thought she had more eggs, I'd fill my bathroom with steam and leave her in there for several hours. I'd probably also de-worm, and maybe start an antibiotic.

Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

4. pfields

I had to go out of town today but before I left when I checked on her in our bath tub she was active, eyes open and resisted my picking her up unlike yesterday. So, I put her outside and she was eating with the other. It was dark when I got home but will check first thing in the morning on her.

Yes, we have a vet here in our small town but I'm not sure she treats chickens. I'll update her condition tomorrow. Oh, I ordered the Metronidazole (500 mg) from Jeffers.

5. pfields

Well, she's up running around and eating like nothing was wrong. The only thing I did to her besides bringing her inside for two days was something I read on another site. I warmed up 1 oz. of water and added 1 teaspoon of epsom salt. Using a small needless syringe I put some down her throat. After that she perked up but I'm still keeping a close eye on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by