1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sick guinea hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Henny peeny, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    NC
    Today as I went to feed the mob I didn't see my little Guinea I open the door up to the coop and there she was I thought she had went broody but when I got close she walked away she doesn't walk away usually she frantically tries to get away from me as fast as she can and screaming POT RACK or a one syllable and cussing me out but I was able to easily get her and she didn't even fight hardly. I checked for injuy but can't find any I thought this might be it she is also very thing so can you worn a Guinea with the same stuff you worm chickens with and if so how much for one can I put it in a gallon and ad as if it was all of them and let her drink or I will help her drink how much should she drink a day I have her inside yesterday she was fine.
    Can you also force feed a bird well don't know if this is force feeding but as long as she swallows I can wet it down so much so it is loose but not like water maybe a little softer that soft serve ice cream. I thought she was doing well but being so thin if she doesn't make it through this I don't think I will get another not sure what happened I have watch the mob and they all seem to accept her for a long time now and I have seen her eat not I have had her for months now (maybe 4 months but didn't mean the for as in four) and if she was not getting enough to eat she should of died by now right I have seen her eating so now it has to be worms or ?? the ?? is the problem if no worms I just wormed then not long ago and she didn't go out when I had let them see outside I didn't know if she would return or is I had to catch her again to have her go in so she didn't eat anything out of the fenced in area I give them clover once in a while it has been week since I did this we had some left over yellow squash and I let the mob have it and the Guinea was right in there with them getting her share.
    I don't know how he poop is but I have her in a small crate and I will be able to see it soon I hope her two waddles?? I guess you call them are nice a red same color as when I got her. her legs are gray and not a real light color wind are at her side but she is puffed up and head down nothing in her mouth other then my finger at times when she wouldn't let go of it.

I am stumped so I am going to have her inside but the weather is changing and getting colder and the time she is inside if not returned she could get a cold and die so I need to get her well soon. I feel I am taking a change now that the weather is getting colder but I think this way if I don't do anything she will (maybe ) die so it is worth the chance I may have a warm enough day that I can put her back in I know they will pick on her maybe again but I am willing as long as she is on her feet she is not on her side and she is still walking around so I think I have a good chance.

I read somewhere of putting honey or caro syrup in the water and this should give her a boost I don't know but I am to try I have all the stuff needed since I have animals once in a while I care for of baby in nature.

Anyone have any ideas it may be she is not feeling well and just that but no weight this is a red flag.

Any idea or anything you think I can give her if meds it is ok I can get them just tell me what it is.

Rhayden

2. ladybirdb12

ladybirdb12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    I am new to Chickens,but I know about parrots.
    When I have a sick bird which though the years had many
    1 keep the bird warm first
    2 after the bird is warm then offer food
    3 cover the box with a blanket this helps with stress

Can you call a vet? With parrots I can tube the crop I will give them exact baby food mixed with pedolite (not spelled right) cockatails (adults) I will give them 4cc every 6 hours. Have you checked her crop is it full?
    can chickens get sour crops? Can you call a vet to ask if you can give your bird exact baby food for parrots?

I do know you have to keep them warm,before you offer food plus cover the box to keep stress down
    I hope she gets better.

3. Henny peeny

May 4, 2007
    NC
    this morning I got up and she has passed I feel a bit giulty she was so thin and I didn 't handle her a lot for not wanting to upset her I hear that streess will kill them so I treid to get her to be able to come near me, I didn't take the sign yesterday she was near me eating and all I didn't make any quick moments I thought good it is about time but this was not it she was sick.ought he in and I gave her water and fed her opening her beak and puting a little feed mixed with water in she seemed to eat but seem like it was hard to sallow so after a few bits I let her drink I held her all the time as I did this. I gave her it till she would not eat or drink and hald her for a while hoping maybe the warmth was to help her. We don't turn the heat on yet but I think my husband turned it on so she would be warmer then she would be in the coop. Sadly it was her time to die.

Thank s for helping

Rhayden

4. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    Did she perhaps have worms? that will kill them eventually, and it sounds like shes been sick for a while. Sorry for your loss.

5. Henny peeny

May 4, 2007
    NC
    yeah maybe so she was sick for a time I just wormed every one a few months ago but the amonia (a moan ya) smell is odd she has not been out of the pen and she has no one else feeding her the day before I should of known but I have been trying to get her to be around me which the day before I thought this. She has gone bolistic when ever I got around her but yesterday when I opened the coop and she was sitting there and not moving away from me that was odd then I could pick her up. I should of did what I do with all my animals I pick them up once in a while to see how things are if they are thin or have bumps or anything I know is not right but she was so high strung I didn't want to stress her out so much maybe I shuold of it is sad I know sometime there is nothing you can do and this could be the case I did what I know to do and she could of still died she was not completely out of her baby feathers it is a shame. I don't plan to get another guinea I think I failed this one maybe I will get anopther hen Chicken so it is not by it's self husband wouldn't let me get a nother giunea so she could talk to somem one maybe it was she had only schikens to talk to and they didn't talk her language I don't know but I think best to not get an6y more giuneas.

Rhayden

6. fat betty

fat betty Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2013
    Texas
    I'm kinda having the same problem we had 4 adult guinea hens and they would get all lopsided the fluffed up there feathers and closed there eyes at first we thought they were sleeping but they did this all day then they died I have a guinea hen chick she has the same symptoms I don't know if I'm being paranoid or what also I'm new and I don't know how to post something myself and not just reply please help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by