Sick Guinea

GuineaLady93

Songster
11 Years
Aug 7, 2011
Cameron, NC
My Coop
My Coop
I found my Bronze 4 month old keet just sitting with her eyes closed and not moving. When I picked her up she puked on me. I used a dropper and put some save-a-chick in her ( which is just electrolytes ). What should I do?!?!?
Thanks,
Ashley

She Died. She was the only Bronze I had.
hit.gif

I am pretty sure her crop was impacted. I would drop some water down her mouth and then rub her chest and turn her upside down because she would puke it up and the puke would have chunks of food in it. A little bit before she died it looked like she couldn't breath good and she was shaking.
hit.gif

sad.png
She could have aspirated from all that puking and being weak. When they go downhill fast it is tough. In the future, if you are willing to take them to a vet, find one ahead of time that will see birds.

Also, you can give all your birds yogurt regularly as a preventative. It won't stop the real nasties, but it can keep something mild from taking a turn for the worse (which can in turn become nasty suddenly).

*hugs*

Aww, I'm sorry for your loss Ash, that's so sad you lost her
hit.gif

Is it possible she could have gotten into some type of bug bait, insecticides, plant or lawn fertilizers, or even anti-freeze from a leaky car radiator that bubbled over from over heating somewhere on your property or from next door?

She may have been impacted, but I doubt yogurt would not have helped with that, just massaging it and giving her more liquids and even a dose of mineral oil may have worked it loose, but even sometimes that does not help, depending how far down the impaction could have been and how long she'd been impacted. Unfortunately Guineas are really good at disguising symptoms of developing health problems until it's too late to fix
hmm.png

Keep an eye on all your other birds for diarrhea or worms... check everyone's breast area, if they seem thin in that area you may need to just treat your entire flock with a broad spectrum wormer.

Back
Top Bottom