sick guinea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trefoil, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I have posted this in the guinea section as well because it is a guinea that "sick:. I copied this from another forum, hoping to get this guy some help:
    One of my Guinea's has been sick for about 3 weeks now. She is young, only about a year or so old. Her abdomen appears to be slightly swollen and quite hard however she is not battling to walk or showing any egg bound symptoms. She is eating a little but mostly sleeping in the cage. She has lime green droppings (more like diarrhea). The only time her breathing is a problem is when I catch her to administer treatment. Then she battles to breathe for a few minutes and is gasping for air until she calms down. I treated her for Chlymidia but no change and have also been giving her some vitamins and probiotics in between the antibiotics. I have now started an antibacterial antibiotic. She is loosing weight daily. The only food she shows any interest in is lucern and wild bird seed. I live in the middle of Mozambique and unfortunatly a Vet is not an option - there are none. Anyone seen these symptoms before?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Perhaps she is laying internally? Maybe that's why her abdomen is hard. I would at least try a warm bath and check her vent just to be sure. Good luck, sorry I can't be more help...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by