Sick hen and worming???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OliverZoe, Oct 23, 2013.

1. OliverZoe

OliverZoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    I have a very ill bird who doesn't hardly eat or drink anything and is thin. I have tried giving her Duramycin, and treating her for cocci but she is still very ill for about 3 weeks now. My question is as a kind of last idea of what to do I was wondering if I should worm her and the rest of my flock or is she to sick to worm? would worming her now be to hard on her?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Worming is always hard on a bird's system, so yes, if you wormed her you would risk killing her. But since nothing else you've tried has worked, if it were me, I would worm her. If she lives, great, but if not, then at least she isn't suffering any more. I would worm your entire flock at the same time. Good wormers include Valbazen, SafeGuard, and the Worminator (flubendazole). Wazine and Ivermectin are sometimes used, but they are rather ineffective.

1 person likes this.
  3. OliverZoe

OliverZoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Thank you! Those are my thoughts too! at least if she doesn't make it she wont be suffering anymore. I feel so sorry for her! I really don't think she will make it through the worming if it is hard on healthy birds she is just so thin but at this point I think that would be a good thing for her sake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by