Sick hen behaving egg-bound (but maybe not)

I would agree with possibly being broody if she otherwise doesn't seem ill. If this is the case you could probably just wait a couple weeks and she will be normal, though there are methods of helping stop the process. (I still wouldn't completely draw out egg bound - it's uncommon but still possible)

A good way of telling if they're broody is if they fluff up when you open the egg box and put your hand in, does she do this?

Also just to make sure, you are feeding her layer feed as her main diet right? It may come in either pellets, crumbles, or mash
Yes, layer feed in pellet form is their main diet. But they get lots random table scraps from the compost heap too. And bugs dug up in the dirt :)

She probably will eat but not quite enough. One of my hens went broody frequently and she would be considerably weaker when I got her back to the flock. But she would bounce back in a day or so.

Yes, layer feed in pellet form is their main diet. But they get lots random table scraps from the compost heap too. And bugs dug up in the dirt :)

Okay that's good, although try to limit that a little, it is also best if you give them the tasty stuff in the evenings before they go to bed so they're not already full before they eat the layer feed :) just make sure you don't give them avocado, potato peels, bananas, or chocolate!

Oh really! Banana peels, avo skins and potato peel go on the compost regularly. They don't eat them though. Not interested in those items at all.
One weird thing: they LOVE garlic skins but wont touch onion skins...
Good idea to give them the tasty stuff in the evenings!

Seems like my broody Amelia spent ALL day in her favorite nesting box. And your're right, she fluffs up when I go near.
Finally at the end of the day I decided "ok, time for you to stretch your legs".
I got her out of her nesting box and put her out in the run with the others. Brought the feed and water out to them too. She scratched about in the dirt, ate a bit, drank a bit.
I think I'm just going to do that every time I'm passing by - get her out of the box for a moment.

Tonight she is even sleeping in her favorite nesting box! Is that normal? She's not on the roosting perch with the other 3.

Tonight she is even sleeping in her favorite nesting box! Is that normal? She's not on the roosting perch with the other 3.

When mine was broody I blocked of the nesting box at night. A few days spent in the dog crate got her back to normal. They are so moody when broody! It's kind of funny to watch

When I get broody chickens I always take them out of the next box whenever I can and put them on the ground and they'll get really angry and puff up and run around for a bit then go back in after a few minutes.

My hen always does that sometimes I will keep her and her sisters out in the run and close the coop door during the day but she will just brood on the ground!

If she isn't sitting on eggs that you want hatched, it's best to break her broodiness.
Broodies do not eat/drink well and don't keep themselves groomed, etc. If she is not hatching, she can continue to be broody for a long period of time and her health can decline.

This is how I broke mine. I placed her in a wire dog kennel in the run. She had plenty of fresh water, her normal feed and a few daily goodies (kale, fruit, sunflower seeds) just like the rest of the flock. At night I blocked off all the nesting boxes - she was not happy, but did roost each night. In the morning I would take her off the roost and place her back in the kennel. It took about 4days to break her.

Back
Top Bottom